pumpkin carving & love confessions | n.h.

"Dawn, I said that I didn't feel like going! You can't force me!"

The blonde girl rolled her eyes at Nicky's whining. She's heard all of his complaints and begs of not wanting to go. There was nothing stopping her from dragging Nicky along.

A Halloween party was announced, with all the seniors being invited. The party's held at a vacant town hall, near the school. It was for the graduating seniors. There was supposed to be games and activities, it was more akin to a festival rather than a party.

Surprisingly, Ricky and Dicky were already there. Leaving earlier to pick up their dates.

Within the few weeks before the party was supposed to happen, people were asked out and some asking. Nicky was just the unlucky few left without a date. It was his only reason to not want to attend.

Dawn, on the other hand, was meeting with a couple friends and being the, ever so caring, sister she was, didn't want Nicky alone for Halloween.

Well, he wouldn't actually be alone.

Their parents would be at home giving candy out. But, Dawn knew, from personal experience, if left alone with their parents on any given holiday, without the rest of the siblings, there would be nonstop stories about the two's love life. And Dawn didn't need to know all the details.

"Oh my god, Nicky! Stop acting like your still 10!"

Nicky dragged his feet against the floor, acting like dead weights, as Dawn pulled him towards the front door.

Her brother huffed, "But, I don't want to go or be in this stupid costume!" In his fit of frustration, Nicky waved around his arms, causing his outfit to fluff and mess up.

Pinching at his ear and pulling hard on the lobe. Dawn glared towards her brother. "Beetlejuice is not stupid! You're just uncultured." Smoothing out the fabric, she tightened the bow tie of the black and white striped suit. "Be happy we managed to find a Halloween costume in time."

Crossing his hands over his chest, Nicky groaned. "Why are you making me go?"

Combing through his gelled hair and fixing the style, Dawn explains. "Because, I'm your sister and I care about you. I don't want you to be stuck at home, while half of our senior class is out partying."

"It's not like I have a date to go with," Nicky mumbles. Pout evident on his lips, as he glances towards his feet rather than at Dawn.

Seeing the sad look on her brother's face, she puts a hand on his shoulder. It doesn't get him to meet her eyes, instead only fixating his gaze harder on the floor. "Nicky, you don't need a date to have fun. I don't have one, but-"

"Dawn, you're going with Mae though."

"We're not dating-"

A scoff comes from her dark haired brother. "It's fine, Dawn. Only I know." Nicky's eyes finally meet his sister's.

A moment's exchanged where the two siblings share a knowing glance between one another.

"Alright." Dawn sighs, breaking the silent conversation. "I don't mean to force you to go to the party. I just don't want you feeling left out and regretting not going later on."