just a friend | n.h.

[ a/n: requested by the lovely @Loni13344 ]

"You know, we should really tell them."

Your tired voice cut through the silence of the room.

Rain slashing on the windows and Nicky's breath against your neck. The whole scene was so serene. Like out of a book or movie.

A snort of laughter, then a nose snuggled against your shoulders and neck. "How well do you think that will turn out? Remember the time we all thought Dawn was dating Britt?"

Turning in bed, you cradle his jawline. "We were 12 back then. Plus, Ricky and Mae watched too much reality tv. House crush, my ass."

Nicky smiled, his lips meeting your cheek.

You pull his face away with a laugh. "Didn't you get enough of that last night, mister?"

Pushing against your hand, Nicky huffs. "With you? Never." You let him pepper kisses on your face.

"But, don't you think we should tell them. Aren't you tired of hiding it? I don't want to always pull you into a spare room or janitor closet, because I want to kiss you."

Nicky flashes you his usual boyish grin. A tell sign, he was going to say something sarcastic. "I didn't know you were such a-"

You press a finger to his lips, silencing him. Throwing him a glare, "Don't." You pull your finger away, when he tries to kiss it. "You're hopeless."

Kicking your feet over the edges of the bed. You get up to brush your teeth. Nicky following right behind.

His arms wrap around you waist. Whines, as you waddle to the bathroom.

"Seriously, we have to tell them eventually." You say, opening the mirror cabinet to get your toothbrush. You grab Nicky's, giving his to him.

He waves you off, "Yeah, yeah. Eventually, but not now." Nicky goes to brush his teeth.

The two of you making silly faces in the mirror, getting dressed right after.

***

"Hurry up!" You throw his shirt at his face.

Grabbing the shirt, Nicky hurries to put it on. "Eesh, I'm going as fast as I can. Chill, babe."

Pushing him towards the window, you grab his backpack. "You wanted to stay the night, now you have to face the consequences. Now, hurry! Before your siblings, figure out you're gone!"

Nicky starts to climb out the window, feet finding the branches of the tree.

The same was he came up.

He pauses to send a witty response. "Just gonna love me and leave me, (Y/N)?"

Rolling your eyes, you kiss him quick. "Now, go back home, you loser."

He crawls down the tree. Once, he gets to his car, he sends you a wink. "See you in class!"

You blow him a kiss. Watching the car drive off.

***

"You will not believe the bullshit I've been through today," Dawn complains. "Though, I think you had it worse." She pauses to look at you.

Raising a brow, you ask her, "What do you mean?"

"Your hair, scattered clothes, tired look. If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed you were screwing somebody."

You choke.

Nicky spits out his water in surprise, which hits Ricky right in the face. Dicky laughing at the sight.

Wiping the water from his face, Ricky throws Nicky a glare. "That was disgusting."

He gets a napkin for Ricky, saying a muttered, "Sorry."

Dawn returns her look back to you. "So, (Y/N)." She extends the last letter of your name. "Who's the guy?"

"What guy? Huh, what?" You question, abruptly.

Too quick, to be the truth.

"The guy, you're clearly screwing." It's not Dawn, who says it this time. It's Dicky.

You flick a goldfish cracker at his forehead. "There's no guy. You're all insane."

After, Ricky's done cleaning his face up. He adds, "Then, what's with Nicky's reaction?"

The guy in question turns his head up to the conversation. "I was just surprised is all," Nicky stuttered out.

"Or," Dawn drags out. "You know the guy."

"He does not!"

"No, I don't!"

Nicky and you declared at the same time.

Dawn smirked. Her eyes crinkling at the edges.

Oh no, you knew that look.

"We'll see about that."

Either way, you and Nicky were in deep shit.

***

Through the course of a few days, the both of you were completely on edge.

Dawn and the terrible two were plotting something. You could feel it. Nicky felt it too.

He tired asking them what they were planning, but they just waved him off.

It led Nicky and you to not have any alone time. Too scared of his siblings finding out.

The built-up tension proved to be too much. Because, during a movie night at the Harper's, he pulled you into the kitchen.

"I can't do this anymore," he blurted. Before grabbing onto your forearms, and pulling you into a deep kiss.

Truth be told, you couldn't either.

Letting him drag the kiss for far too long. The small of your back pressed into the counter top.

"Yo, Nickster, what's taking so long for the snack-," The voice paused. "Oh shit!"

The door creaks, opening wider.

"What's with the cursing, Dicky-... What the fuck?"

"Seriously, can I just eat snacks in pea- I fucking knew it!"

The sight of Nicky pressing you against the kitchen counter was probably evidence enough.

You sigh, "Okay, yeah, we're-"

"You're screwing each other!" Dicky cuts in.

Nicky's eyebrows scrunch up, "What? No. I mean, yes, but we're also dating."

"Oh." Dicky says, "That's it?"

Ricky just rolls his eyes. "Jesus Christ."

"Why didn't you tell us sooner?" Dawn asked.

You shrug, "Have you not met yourselves? You are prone to overreact, if I'm being honest."

A series of responses answer.

"Yeah, no, (Y/N) has a point."

"Hey! I don't overreact!"

"Kinda true, though."

Nicky hugs you, burying his face in your neck.

"When did you start dating?" Ricky inquired.

Lifting his head, Nicky yawns. "A couple months ago."

"Damn. And, to think I said you couldn't keep a secret," Dicky lightly punches Nicky's shoulder, chuckling.

Clapping her hands, Dawn brings the attention back to her. "Now, that's out of the way. Any other secrets anyone would like to share?"

It's quiet for a moment.

"I tried shaving my legs with chocolate cream, once."