five - heart attack

[my life has been tragedy
after tragedy. i stopped expecting
anything good to happen to me]

___________________________

We all ate at the food court. We got plenty of strange looks from other people at the mall, but not because the boys were One Direction. No, it was because of the large pile of bags at the head of the table; It was so large, in fact, that it spread out and into the way of people.

"Could you have put the bags in a worse place?" I asked the boys teasingly, and they laughed. Harry threw a french fry at me, and I caught it in my mouth, causing the boys to riot and cheer. I laughed a little bit but froze when I realized that everyone in hearing distance of us was staring.

I harshly elbowed Niall, who was on my left, in an attempt to get him to shut up. He looked down at me, voice dying as he realized. Oh, shit, that's right. We're in public.

The rest of the boys seemed to take the hint and collected themselves. I smiled at a middle-aged woman who was still staring, and she rolled her eyes at me and looked back at her food. I tried to rush the boys to eat faster, so we could get out of there before they did anything else to embarrass me. Liam, Zayn, and I dumped the trays. When we were walking back, a teenage girl approached us, looking no older than 17.

"Aren't you two from that boyband?" She asked, peering at them through their disguises. I jumped in quickly.

"These are my brothers, they're deaf. I can translate for you if you want me to?" I asked her casually. She shook her head.

"No, no. They just looked familiar, but I was imagining things."

"Okay." I gave her a small, understanding smile and she turned and walked away. I let a deep breath out and laughed at the boys' confused looks.

"Me and my best friend always use that when we get in trouble." I said casually, before I tensed up. "We used to, anyways." Before we rolled the truck. Before she died.

Lizzie was dead.

Liam gave me an understanding nod and we finished the walk back to the boys in silence. We all ended up grabbing five bags, minus Louis, who had four.

"Come on you guys," Louis complained on our walk to the car, "You're making me feel bad!" We bursted out into laughter.

"You're the smallest out of all of us, Louis. You can't blame us." I snorted with laughter at Zayn's comment, and the rest of the boys paused for a second, and then laughed with me. When we got to the car, we hap-hazardly threw the bags into the trunk. I turned around to find Louis directly in front of me. When I say directly, I mean directly. His face was less than three inches away from my face.

"Jesus Christ!" I exclaimed, startled. I took a step back and my knees hit the bumper off the car, causing me to fall backwards into the trunk. Memories of being thrown into a trunk, bloody, bruised, and hypothermic crept into my mind, and I blinked hard.

Now is not the time for this.

I opened my eyes and saw Louis chuckling softly, hand extended to help me up. He pulled me out of the trunk and took a step back, giving me room. He didn't let go of my hand. He wasn't squeezing it, just loose and casual. My shoulders tensed up, waiting for him to do something. Slap me, throw me to the ground, force himself onto me. Something. He must have noticed how tense I was because he lightly let go of my hand and smiled.

He looked up at my hairline, and then jumped up and down and hollered.

"What's gotten into him?" Niall asked, coming around to the back of the car and away from the rest of the boys.