fifteen - through the dark

[i am nobody's daughter]

"Do you want to come to our show tonight?" Niall asked. I looked up from my book, brushing hair out of my eyes.

It had been another three weeks, and things were amazing. I debated.

"Come on, I think you'll really have fun! We only have a few shows left," Niall urged, smiling.

The rest of the boys were out at the store but I mentioned that I felt like I was coming down with something, so they left Niall with me and told us to call Liam if we needed anything.

Niall and I were sitting in the living room, minding our own business, before he asked the question. Did I want to go to their show tonight?

"You all made me stay home and now you want me to go to your concert?" I checked. Niall laughed and pulled me up from my seat.

"Yes. Plus we don't want to leave you alone in this bus again, we feel bad."

"You realize I basically grew up alone right? That's nothing new," I said, before biting my cheek and looking down at the ground. I was very good at not talking about the first 16 years of my life.

They don't need to matter anymore. I survived them. I want to move on.

But a lot of the things from before are still stuck. Flinching, looking at the floor, fast paced defensive apologies- it all came from what I left behind. I tried not to talk about it.

"You aren't alone anymore," Niall said simply. He walked past me to the kitchen. "Hungry?" He changed the conversation for me. I nodded, before remembering he couldn't see me.

"Yeah, uh, I could eat," I said. Niall came back a few minutes later with sandwiches and set two in front of me. I smiled and thanked him softly. We ate in silence. I offered him my other sandwich, explaining my appetite was mostly gone. He took it.

"We'll head to the stadium as soon as the boys get back. You might want to take a shower," Niall suggested.

"Are you trying to imply that I smell?" I asked sarcastically. He laughed.

That was one of the things about Niall. He never stopped laughing.

"Like a heard of goats," Niall said. I laughed as well. That was the other thing. It seemed like since I've moved in with One Direction, I haven't stopped laughing either.

I took a shower, dried my hair, and pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans and a cropped white T-shirt. I gave myself a small smile in the mirror before walking out, straight into Zayn.

"Oh, hey," I greeted, looking up at him. He raised one eyebrow before cracking a big grin.

"Hey, Doll," Zayn said, "Did Niall talk you into coming to the concert tonight?"

"That he did, mate," I said, mocking his thick Bradford accent. I brushed past him, sending him a smile over my shoulder. He gave me a cheeky grin back.

-

The venue was giant. Giant was almost not a big enough word to describe it. "And you said this place is going to be packed?" I asked the group.

"Sold out," Liam said from beside me.

"Woah," I whispered. We were all standing on the giant stage. I looked out at the empty seats. Sold out. Wow.

"You lot should go backstage, they're going to be coming in soon," The boys body guard, Paul, said from behind us. Liam put his arm around my shoulder while we walked back. Eventually we got back to the boys dressing room, where they all messed around with each other. They had hours to kill.