HISTORY

[ONE MONTH LATER]

The day of One Direction's last concert, I woke up in my dorm room in New York City. It had been a whole month since Niall had dropped me off at the airport with my luggage and a promise to see me next month.

"Carls, are you up?" I asked. I looked over at her bunk. Carly, my roommate, groaned in response. "Guess what today is?"

"The day your brothers band breaks up?" Carly guessed accurately. I had only been talking about it every day for the last month.

"Yes," I said. I tossed the covers off of myself and climbed out of bed. I pulled the curtains closed and then started making a cup of tea. "Green or black tea?" I asked Carly.

"As black as my soul," Carly muttered. I laughed.

Carla Johnson was about as far from a ray of sunshine as someone could get. My happiness and excitement balanced out the room. While I was sugar, spice, and everything nice? Carla was rudeness, sarcasm, and lacking enthusiasm. I loved her regardless.

When I first moved in, it was decorated in all black. Over the last month, I switched things out from black to a different, more happier color.

The result was an interesting mixture of our personalities. We were different people, but we got along just fine.

"I'm leaving your tea on the counter," I announced.

"Mickey Horan, you are an angel," Carly said. I laughed and shook my head, even though there was no one to see me.

"I'm gonna stop and talk to Poe and Didge really quick, but I'll be back to get my bags in like half an hour. Cool?" I asked.

"Very cool," Carly said.

I left our dorm without another word. Poe and Didge lived in the same building, a floor higher. I took the stairs because I was bouncing with excitement.

I broke into the girl's apartment. "Hey!"

"You know breaking and entering is a crime, don't you?" Poe teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Call the cops then," I countered. She rolled her eyes right back. "Where's Didge?"

"Sleeping," Poe said.

"The day of One Directions last concert? Really?"

"She was up crying last night," Poe laughed. I shrugged and nodded, because that sounded like the Didge I knew. Didge was my real life, in person, fandom reaction. When she was crying, it was probable that millions of other fans were crying too. "What about you, Mickey? Were you up late last night crying?"

"No," I said, "the hiatus officially starts today but to me it feels like it started months ago, when they first told me. I've had time to let it sink in." That was the truth. I had cried over it enough. Now, I was just happy for the boys. They were going to be able to release the music they wanted, not the music that fit the One Direction brand.

"Is that Mickey?" Didge called. I couldn't see her, but I could imagine her goofy smile.

"In the flesh," I called back. Didge came out a few seconds later, with a messy afro and a dopey grin. "Good morning, babes."

"Morning," Didge said, "was it a nightmare or are the boys really going on hiatus today?"

"They're going on hiatus," I said with a sad smile. Didge drug her hand down her face. "Hey, think about it. Now, you're going to be getting five times the content."