fourty-five - ready to run

[love feels like loneliness sometimes]

_________________________

I woke up still in the drivers seat. There was a paramedic reaching across me, unbuckling my seatbelt. I shifted slightly. When the woman realized I was conscious, she started talking.

"Hey. Stay with me now, okay? You were in an accident," she said. The seatbelt came undone and I looked around.

Who was next to me? It was Liam, wasn't it?

"Where are my brothers?" I asked.

"I don't know," she said, "I need to get you out of the car. Does anything hurt?"

My head was throbbing.

"No, I'm fine. I think... I'm fine. Where are my brothers? Niall?" I asked again. The woman picked me up and sat me on a gurney. "Niall?" I asked again, looking around.

The back end of our car was smashed. Who was in the back? I couldn't remember. The vehicle that ran into us, a moving van, was totaled.

There was a man standing outside of it, talking on the phone.

"Niall!" I shouted.

"What's your name?" A paramedic asked. He had came to meet the other lady, or maybe he had been there the whole time. I looked at him and scrunched my eyes shut.

"Shit. Mickey, McKenna. I had boys with me in the car. Like teenage boys. Where are they?" I asked.

They lifted me into the ambulance and shut the doors before answering.

"We don't know," the female paramedic said.

"Do you know if they're okay?" I asked. "Look, my brother, Niall. He, his friends, my best friend, I was with all of them. Are they okay?"

"You hit your head really hard," the woman said. She shone a flashlight into my eyes which made me hiss and pull away from her. "It knocked you unconscious for a few minutes. You probably have a concussion, and definitely need to go to the hospital. Where are your parents?"

"My brother is my guardian, fuck," I mumbled. "I need to make sure he's okay."

I tried to stand up off the gurney, but realized there were multiple restraints holding me down. I thrashed. "Easy," the man said softly.

"Just tell me if they're okay!" I said.

"All we know is that there was one fatality. We don't know from which vehicle, gender, age, anything," he said. He pushed my shoulders down onto the gurney.

I knew they knew something more than they were saying.

What happened? I was driving. Liam was next to me. What happened after that? How did I get from there to here?

How did I let this happen to the only people who love me?

"Where's Liam?" I asked, looking around.

"McKenna, you're in shock," a paramedic said, "I need you to try and relax for me. We don't know where anyone from your car is."

I scrunched my eyes shut for a few seconds and then blinked multiple times. I looked to the woman for answers, trusting her more. Because of course I trusted her more.

"What happened?"

"You were hit by a drunk driver," the male paramedic explained, "you couldn't have seen him coming. It's not your fault. It's a blind intersection and he ran the light."