LAST FIRST KISS

"Earpieces?" Niall asked.

"Check," I said.

"Mic?"

"Check."

"Guitar?"

"On stage," I reminded.

"So that's it, then? You're ready?"

"Yeah," I said breathlessly, "yeah, lets do this."

I nodded for the other boys to follow and they did. We got to the steps up to the stage too quickly for my liking. It was the same walk as the night before but felt about 50 steps short.

"You got this," Harry said. He pulled me into a hug first.

"Seriously, go kill it," Liam said. He pulled me into a hug next.

All five of the boys gave me hugs and whispered words of encouragement. I nodded along with them, trying to appear more confident than I felt.

"I need to go out," I said, "I got this."

"You got this," the boys chorused.

I nodded my head and turned around.

All I have to do is go up the stairs. Everything after that will just... happen.

I forced my feet to carry me. When I was in eyesight of the fans, they screamed.

"Hey!" I said excitedly, "?ow's everybody doing tonight?" They screamed louder, and I took it as an answer. "Good! Okay, this is my first show so I'm going to need you guys to cut me just a bit of slack while I figure this out."

The intro to On Purpose started playing, then. I walked down the runway as I sang, trying to appear confident. But, in reality, I was far from being confident.

In reality, my inner monologue was something like this: what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck whAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK

The first song ended and the crowd cheered enthusiastically.

"Okay," I said into the mic, "so, how is everyone doing tonight?" I paused and listened to 83,000 people cheer excitedly. "Good then? That's good," I said. "I've never been on stage alone before and I'm still trying to figure how to carry a conversation when the only response I get is screaming."

The crowd laughed, which made me laugh. "Screaming and laughing," I corrected, "alright. If you've heard the album, you'll know the next one. This is No Words!" The crowd sang along loudly.

The concert carried on like that. After shadows, I called the boys on stage.

The five of them bounded excitedly towards me, waving to the girls in the stadium. They wrapped me in a tight hug and I laughed.

"Give it up for One Direction!" I yelled. The crowd screamed excitedly. "If you like One Direction, you'll like this next song!"

The intro to Night Changes started. I nodded to Zayn, so he would sing. He sang his verse, and then Harry sang his. I joined the five part harmony and looked between the boys.

They looked proud.

I couldn't fight the giant smile off of my face as we sang.

Louis' verse came next. And then Niall, and then the chorus for the second time.

The song ended and the arena erupted. I pulled the boys into a final hug and pressed kisses against their foreheads. Louis turned his head away and I tried to hide the hurt on my face.