thirteen - what makes you beautiful

[you are not weak
just because everything
in your mind and your heart
feels so god damn heavy]

_________________________________

"Just hear me out, there's no reason I even need to wear a dress! I am a proud feminist and I know I don't need a dress to make me beautiful," I argued with Cassie. She gave me an amused look and I sighed, still starring down at the dresses in front of me.

Tomorrow was my birthday, which didn't really matter. But it was also my first award show, which I guess mattered a lot.

"Mickey, come on! It's just a dress," she said. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't like people seeing my prosthetic... but even if I did, it's not even my award! Why can't I just wear jeans or something?" I argued again. Cassie shoved a dress into my hand and pushed me behind the changing thing. I changed into the skintight dress quickly before stepping out.

"Damn, your body is killer! Why are you hiding this under hoodies all the time?" Cassie asked playfully, giving me a once over.

"Because of this," I whispered, turning around and moving my hair off of the open back. I heard her gasp behind me as she took in the scars.

"Mickey, I-? What happened?"

"It's a lot of stuff I don't really talk about. It's fine now. But I can't wear this or else people will see that and ask what happened. It's better for everyone if I hide it," I explained, pulling my hair back over it. She looked back down at the dresses and grabbed another option, which I took without argument.

"You said you hide it. Do the boys know?" She asked.

"No, no, they don't know. And they aren't going to, either," I said, giving her a look. She nodded and I went behind the wall to change again.

I pulled the sleeves down and adjusted it a bit, before stepping out. The dress was black, still skin tight, and I had to admit that I looked good. Or I would have, if it wasn't for my leg.

At some point, I was just going to have to accept it. My leg was gone, whether it was my fault or not. There was no changing it.

A knock at the door startled both of us. Cassie invited them in, and Niall walked in with Louis close behind him. I looked down at the floor shyly.

"Hey we brought this..." Niall said, holding something. He trailed off and I looked up. He set a long box on the ground beside him. "Wow," He mumbled, taking me in. I looked back down at the floor, a bit of my hair falling over my face.

"Is it bad?" I asked nervously. Niall walked up to me and slowly, gently, rested his hands on my biceps.

"No, love. It's not bad at all. You look stunning," Niall complimented and I blushed while he pulled me into a hug. I closed my eyes for a moment and when I opened them, I saw Louis still looking at me. He didn't say anything. I didn't say anything. Niall broke the hug and pushed me away, looking me up and down again, before looking to Cassie.

"A bit short, don't you think?" He asked her, which made me laugh and smack him lightly on the chest. "What? I'm your older brother, being protective of you is my job!" He defended.

"Actually, I think it's a nice length on her. Don't you think so, Louis?" Cassie asked him. I caught the side eye she gave me.

Cassie was convinced that Louis and I would end up together.