Chapter 21

I wanted to post this chapter with this song attached. I was re-reading and editing this chapter recently and towards the end, this song just came on through my Spotify and right as I'm rewriting the sappiest part of this whole book, I can feel Lainey's pain and emotions running through me as I'm putting it into writing and I'm just really happy with it. So please wait for the spot it says to play the song, you will not be disappointed. If you enjoy the book so far, please! Don't forget to spam with votes and comments and I will make sure I repay the favor. Thank you all so much, my book wouldn't have made it this far without you guys and your endless love and support. It means everything to me🥰

Okay, I'll let you read the chapter.

************************************************

Lainey

Lainey looked at the door, Cassidy should've been home by now, it was hard enough siting in the same room with a half-naked girl, the same girl that was the love of her life once, the same girl that she had crazy amazing sex with.

Jess wore a mini skirt as she sat on the classic yellow fauteuil and read a book. Lainey watched her out of the corner of her eye. She began to fidget, her leg bounced and she found herself stuck staring. The beautiful legs that led above her skirt. It taunted her, they always have, Jess knew that.

Jess peaked at Lainey over the edge of her book and seen her staring at her legs. She opened her legs slightly and watched as Lainey looked up at her, full of desperation, practically begging. Lainey's eyes snapped away from her and towards the door, waiting for Cassidy to come through any moment. What could be keeping her so long?

"Where's your girl toy?" Jess smiled, licking her finger and turning the page, not even holding eye contact with Lainey.

"Girlfriend. We're official now." Lainey said, trying her hardest to keep her eyes on the door. Cassidy always came home after class; she'd be through the door any second now.

"Wow... did that happen before or after the fake orgasm?" Jess shook her head and tried to contain her laugh.

The old Lainey would have laughed at that, she missed her stupid demeaning humor, she used to love it. Maybe she still loved it, because Lainey contained her smile, but the air shot from her nose in the form of a laugh would show differently. Maybe the new Lainey was still the old one and she never really changed. Obviously matured, but she never really changed. She was still the same hormonal teenage girl that slept around and did stupid things with stupid people.

Jess got up from the chair, placed her book down and sat next to Lainey on the couch. Lainey kept her eyes on the door. Jess placed her hand on Lainey's knee that had been bouncing and gave it a squeeze before she sighed. Lainey tried hard to keep her concentration on the door. She could see the moment the doorknob turned at this point.

"I know it's a lot, Lane... I come out of nowhere and ask for you to come back with me, and I know Cassidy is someone who means a lot to you. For a year we were apart from each other, so I can't expect you to come straight back to me, but I still love you and-" Jess was stopped mid-speech by Lainey's soft lips.

Lainey turned to look at her, and swiftly, like she was magnetized, she found her lips molding onto hers. Just like she remembered, just like it felt like to kiss someone that you know absolutely adored you. A year between this moment, she felt the same, Lainey would be losing someone she loved. Kissing her in the moment reminded her of those summer days that helped Lainey lived the best days of her life. Their cool little clique of hippie friends, they would probably love to meet back up at their old spot and see Jess again, hopefully Jess still remembered that day. Her memory being destroyed along with a piece of the both of them in the hospital that day, she might not have remembered most, if not all of that summer and that hurt. Having memories hidden somewhere in the back of her head, never to be remembered or talked about between them. The kisses under the sun and on the beach blanket, their friends throwing gummy worms at them, telling them to get a room and afterwards they would smoke up and spend the entire day being stupid, swimming, getting a sunburn and being high as hell.