Chapter 11: The Threat part.2

She tried to make the situation as normal as possible. She pushed open the door, swung her bag off her shoulder and settled it against the wall, and slipped her shoes off. Kageyama followed suit. She didn't know whether she should say something or not. But she didn't have to decide, because a familiar figure stepped out from the kitchen and frowned at her. She was dressed in a maroon blouse, black sleek pants, and had her hair pinned up on her head.

She must've had a work meeting earlier. "Hi, Mom," Mikaela said stiffly.

"Kaisha," her mother said in acknowledgment, her tone cold. She raised her eyebrows. "Hello, Tobio."

He just nodded at her. "Hey, Aunt Monomi."

There was an awkward pause, during which Mikaela and her mother glared at each other and Kageyama waited to see which bomb would explode first.

Mikaela spoke first. "I don't appreciate you calling the school to get me off the team and threatening to fire my teacher."

"I don't appreciate you running away, without a word to where you were going, and not returning until now," her mother returned icily. Kageyama wanted to interject- wasn't it obvious why she ran away?- but he knew better than to say anything. He touched his cousin's back gently, remind her silently that they had to be civil if they wanted to strike a deal.

Mikaela was grinding her teeth together, frustrated. Kageyama had never seen her so tense- not even before the volleyball finals in her junior years. "I want to make a deal," she said stiffly, her gaze never wavering as she glared down her mother.

Kageyama Monomi didn't speak, thinking. Eventually, her voice as cold as ice, she said, "I'm listening." Deals were something she understood.

"I'm not leaving the team," she said first. Kageyama knew that probably wasn't the right thing to say because her mother's eyes narrowed. "And I'm going to the training camp." And now she's adding salt to the wound. The setter almost laughed- she could be so blunt sometimes.

His aunt seemed less than pleased. "You already know how I feel about that."

"And," Mikaela forged on, undeterred, "if you allow me to continue with this club and all the activities that come with it, I'll stay home."

Kageyama paused, confused. Monomi seemed the same. "How is this supposed to help your argument?" her mother quipped, crossing her arms.

"Because," the black-haired manager said, a glint in her eyes, "I'll leave."

Her mother paused, effectively stumped.

"I will leave," Mikaela said, her voice low, "and I will go live with Dad. I won't come back here."

Kageyama nearly flinched from the sudden anger that flared up in his aunt. "How dare you even consider that!" she hissed, stepping forwards and jabbing a finger at her daughter. "You know what happened between your father and me."

"Yep," Mikaela agreed, "which is why I'll stay. As long as you let me continue being the manager for Tobio's volleyball team."

Her mother had nothing to say. Kageyama was proud of Mikaela- from what he knew, this was probably the first time she'd ever shut her down so effectively.

"I won't even mention any of this to Dad," the ex-volleyball player added.

"...Fine."

Kageyama's hand squeezed Mikaela's arm in a silent message. Yes!

"But," her mother continued, "I want you home every night by six, sharp. No excuses. You'll be able to study for a few hours. If you ever want to be out after that time, I need to know, or there will be severe consequences."