Chapter 52: The Graduation

Mikaela-chan:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss in the quarter-finals of nationals. Congratulations to your team, they played very well over the past few days. For a first time appearance at nationals, you should be quite proud of what you accomplished.

In terms of your volleyball career, I've made contact with a reporter who wants to do an article about you. Not just about your injury and volleyball, but all about you: your background, family, friends, and everything that makes you who you are. I saw your interview with Miya Atsumu, which was a brilliant move on your part. You were popular before, but you're more so now. This interview is the icing on the cake.

Additionally, I have some news to share with you about your future as a volleyball player based on what I've learned from speaking with the committee. Let's arrange a meet up as soon as possible.

Regards,

Hujita Yanahaba

Mikaela scowled at the email. "You think I was trying to get in an interview with that idiot?" she grumbled to herself, glaring at her phone screen.

Hinata looked up from his phone. "What is it?"

"Nothing," she said with a sigh, her eyes lingering on the last full line of the email. I have some news to share with you about your future as a volleyball player. "Nothing at all."

She closed her phone and shoved it in her pocket. She'd think about it later.

-------

Mikaela slept in the taxi back from the hospital.

She was physically, emotionally, and mentally drained. Between stressful games, a difficult loss, and being approached by more faces than she could remember, her brain and body were dead exhausted. By the time she and Hinata had returned from the hospital (just a fever, thank goodness), everyone had already eaten dinner and was winding down. Mikaela kept her head down for most of it, making sure to check on Tsukishima and ensure that he was okay after his leg cramp.

"I'm fine," he assured her, scowling. "The cramp went away within a minute."

"Okay," she said in relief. "As long as you're okay now."

Tsukishima shrugged. "Fine. I want to look over tapes of Kamomedai from the match."

Mikaela perked up. "Really? We can do that together, if you want."

"Sure," he said softly, smirking. "Great date night ideas."

"You- You'd be down for date nights?" she asked excitedly, grabbing his hands. "What else would you want to do? We could do more museum trips, or go see a movie, maybe go get dinner- wait, we should stay cheap, maybe an arcade? Unless- wait, would you want date nights?"

Tsukishima shot her an amused look, apparently enjoying her excitement. "I thought that was one of the requirements of being a boyfriend."

She shrugged. "Depends on who you date. Some girls yes, others not so much."

"So which type am I dating? One that wants to go on dates every other night and make my pockets hurt?"

Mikaela laughed. "Well, my idea of a good date is playing volleyball or curling up on the couch and watching volleyball videos. So I'd say I'm pretty low maintenance."

"Good, I don't think I could afford constant trips out."

"I'd cover some of it, moron."

"I'll hold you to that."