Chapter 27: The Funeral

The date of the funeral was September 23rd.

Mikaela only knew because her mother texted her a few days before, informing her that she was expected to be there and that she should bring Kageyama with her.

She and Kageyama took a train- the funeral was held in Tokyo- and, fittingly, it was raining. Mikaela sighed as she leaned back in the seat of the train compartment, resisting the urge to kick one of the women that regarded her and Kageyama oddly. They were wearing funeral attire: he was in a formal black suit and she was in a simple black dress that she wanted to throw away.

Kageyama's parents were on a business trip. They wouldn't be attending.

"This is going to be rough," she mumbled.

Kageyama straightened up. "What'd you say?"

She shook her head. "Nothing."

Silence emerged between them once again. The only sound was a baby crying in a seat somewhere behind Mikaela. She tilted her head towards the window, watching the raindrops hit the glass and fall, judging them to see which droplet would reach the edge of the window fastest.

Her phone buzzed. She tilted the screen towards herself to read the message.

Yamaguchi Tadashi (11:34): Hey Kaela! Hope everything goes okay today! Text me if you need me!

Her fingers were shaking so badly that Mikaela had trouble typing out a response.

Mikaela Kaisha (11:36): Thanks Yams, I'll text you later

"Who's that?" Kageyama asked quietly, propping his elbow up on the arm rest and leaning his head into his palm.

"Yamaguchi," she replied tiredly, tucking her phone into the pocket of her Karasuno jacket that was slung over her shoulders. Mikaela tilted her head back against the seat, glaring up at the pattern's on the train's ceiling. "I don't want to do this."

"Why?"

"Don't want to see her," Mikaela grumbled.

Kageyama knew immediately who she was talking about. "We'll avoid her. You don't have to talk to her."

She hummed in agreement, meeting Kageyama's gaze. "Okay."

"Guess what."

"What? Don't make me guess."

"Playoffs are in a month."

Her face split into a grin and she sat up. "You're right. They start October 25th, right?" He nodded, smirking at her. "Ooh, I'm so excited, I'm going to have to start looking up all the teams. This'll be wonderful. Oh! And there's going to be so much more information because they're all bigger, more popular teams. This is awesome. And-" She paused when she noticed Kageyama smirking at her. "What?"

"Nothing."

She forced a smile. "Thanks, Tobio."

He shrugged. "Yeah."

Another half an hour passed before they finally made it to Tokyo. At the station, Mikaela's grandmother picked them up- her father's mother, Mikaela Huka. She was a quiet lady with firm opinions and a kind voice when she did choose to make her opinions known. Mikaela never wanted to see her angry. She hugged both of them briefly before guiding them to her car.

"I hope you're doing alright," Huka said softly, turning to glance at them briefly from the front seat before turning back to the front and starting the engine. "We're only down for the week, but feel free to call us."