Chapter 16: The 'South Paw'

Mikaela wiped at her eyes before she threw herself down onto the sleeping mat and was surprised when her hands came away damp. She was crying.

She blinked rapidly, trying to force the tears away. Oddly enough, she hadn't even felt them. She let out a shaky breath, trying to wrap her mind around everything that had just happened. She had just told Tsukishima, of all people, the biggest secret she had. Mikaela wasn't sure whether she felt relieved or upset.

Maybe she shouldn't have said anything.

Would Tsukishima tell anyone?

She knew she'd second-guess herself for a while. She'd started doing that a lot more since her accident. Mikaela shook her head. She didn't think the blond would tell anyone; it wasn't very like him. If anything, he'd bring it up subtly while making fun of her, which would lead people to ask questions. She groaned; she may as well just tell the entire team. What was the point of hiding it?

Mikaela didn't fall asleep for hours. And when she finally did, it wasn't peaceful.

Mikaela Kaisha (2:29): I told Tsukishima.

Kageyama Tobio (5:58): All of it?

Mikaela Kaisha (6:43): Just about, yeah.

Kageyama Tobio (6:45): Huh

Mikaela Kaisha (6:50): Kill me now

-------

Despite the fact that Mikaela's world had crashed and burned the previous night, everything seemed to be fine the next day. Odd.

Tsukishima, if anything, avoided her more than usual. She'd offered him a water bottle and he'd taken it without even glancing at her. She'd found herself looking at him for often that she should because she was worried about what he might say or do, but she was disappointed. Tsukishima said nothing and did nothing.

The scheduled practice games were finished, and everyone was breaking into groups to do extra practice. "Hey hey hey!" someone called, and Mikaela didn't even have to turn around to know that it was Bokuto from Fukurodani. "Four-Eyes! Want to practice blocking for me?"

The blond hesitated for a few seconds, then he bowed. "Sure. Thanks for having me."

"Wha?!" Bokuto cried out in surprise.

Akaashi rolled his eyes. "Why are you surprised? You're the one who asked."

Mikaela was surprised too. Tsukishima strolled off to go practice with Bokuto at a different net, and the black-haired girl turned to Yamaguchi. "What'd you say to him yesterday?" she said, confused. "He seems more..."

"More what?" Yamaguchi asked, his eyes trailing after his best friend.

"More... cooperative, I guess," she said with a shrug.

Yamaguchi returned her shrug with one of his own. "I don't know, really. I was just frustrated that he wasn't putting his all into practice, and I... Well, I told him that the only reason he really needed was pride."

Mikaela nodded along, thinking. "I agree," she said, smiling. "Pride and spite."

He laughed, picking up a volleyball from the ground. "I guess you weren't there, but... Have you heard anything about our match against Aoba Johsai in the Interhigh?"

"Yeah, bits and pieces," she said, raising one shoulder in a half-shrug of sorts. "All I know is that you guys lost, but only barely."

Yamaguchi winced, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "Yeah. It was pretty bad. I went on once as a pinch server, and my serve hit the net and fell." Mikaela winced, imagining the scene in her head. "I've been practicing like crazy since then because I want another chance to make up for that. I guess it just bothered me that everyone else was working so hard and Tsukki was just tagging along for the ride."