Wave Eighteen

It didn’t take long for the other Guardians to follow Darya from the cavern. They filtered out in small groups to analyse the meeting at their leisure. They hadn’t even given Eli the chance to plead a case for Leira before sweeping away. Even Dale, and his mate, Maya, filed out.

            Glancing around the cavern, Eli noticed Anahita had remained behind. Her hair drifted about her slim face, framing it. In the softly shimmering lights of the tiny orbs, she looked almost beautiful despite her scars. Her tail was smaller than those of the Guardians, yet she reached him from the platform with effortless grace. She’d been the Seer of their Herd for as long as Eli could remember. He’d had always been wary of her knowing smile and her separation from the Herd – how could she stand it?

          (It is my duty,) she thought to him kindly. He supposed she’d sensed his thoughts. Eli didn’t know how to respond, so kept quiet. The silence stretched out across the waters between them, but Anahita wouldn’t break it. Eventually, Eli turned to her, his tail brushing against the spire below him.
(How will you vote?)
(You know you can’t ask me that!) she returned quickly. Eli started to project an apology, but Anahita held up a pale hand.

(You can’t ask me that, but I’ll answer. She should stay here, close to the Nest. Close to me. She should be a Guardian, like her father. Like her mother.) Eli flinched at the reference to Sirene, but didn’t reply.
(She spoke to the Source, Eli. She has great strength. With my help, who knows what she could become? But I can’t help her if she’s sent out with the Flame-Tails.)
(You’ll vote for her to become a Guardian, then?)
(Yes. Won’t you?)
Eli wouldn’t answer.