Wave Twenty Eight

After several failed attempts, she finally found her way back to the dormitory. Easing herself into the cavern, she felt she’d been gone for ages. A quick sweep of the room confirmed she was alone; the others must still be in the main chamber. She saw the rows of empty hammocks swaying in the slight current. She flopped into hers and reached out to the Herd. She’d been blocking them without realising it – probably just as well, Leira thought to herself. Less risk of being caught in the treasure room.

          Leira allowed the drone of the Herd to whir through the back of her mind. She relaxed at the familiar connection. She began to tune in to her father and the Guardians, as usual. Realising what she was doing, she forced herself to stop. An ache blossomed in her chest and she knew it was a void created by the lack of contact with Eli. She felt tempted to reach out to him, to connect to him – and after all, why shouldn’t she? She doubted any of the Scouts could reach out to connect to someone from all the way across the Nest, but she was trained as a Guardian. She knew she could do it.

          Closing her eyes, Leira settled into her hammock. She started to search for the Guardians and soon detected their frequency with her mind. Holding the entire Herd on one level in her thoughts, she accessed the Guardians on another. She slipped her thinking down a notch, trying to hone in on Eli. Just as she began to search for him, she sensed something nudge her mind. It felt familiar and safe. It was Eli. She knew her father was reaching for her, just as she’d been about to find him. Without thinking, Leira blocked him and disconnected from everything. She’d wanted their first contact to be on her terms, not his. Feeling an instant pang of regret, Leira opened her mind again and repeated the process of searching for Eli. He was gone.

          With a stifled sob, Leira wrapped herself in her hammock. She knew she’d just pushed her father away. For the first time, she considered how lonely he must be without her. He must feel so rejected now she’d blocked him. She tried to reach him once more, but still found nothing. Bleakly, Leira projected a strong thought of love and loss. She directed it into the Herd rather than trying to connect to Eli. She hoped somehow he’d hear it and know it was from her. Sighing softly, she pulled the seaweed wrappings of her hammock even closer about her, and gave herself over to sleep.