Wave Fifty

Before sleep could completely consume her, Leira felt the familiar buzz of the Seer’s presence fill her mind. She’d been blocking Anahita for a long time, refusing to acknowledge her contact. This time though, Anahita was unrelenting, and Leira allowed the connection to form.
(Leira, I’m sorry this happened to you.) Leira flicked her tail in surprise, unused to Anahita using her real name. Her voice sounded sad.
(It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t anybody’s.)
Thinking the thoughts that had taken her such a long time to accept did not make them any easier. And they wouldn’t bring Eli back either.
(If only your Source had been stronger!) Leira burst out. Anahita paused for what seemed like an age before replying.
(That Source, the one you were training with, was dying. It had been fading for a long time, as our Herd drew from it. I just - I hadn't wanted to admit that to myself. And now it's gone.)

Leira processed the information, her mind whirling. The Source Anahita had taught her to connect with had been too weak to draw from. If only she’d known, then – then what? Sighing, Leira knew trying to lay blame was pointless.
(I’m sorry I used up the rest of the Source,) she thought, trying to appease Anahita. She knew the Seer must’ve felt the loss keenly. Anahita did not reply.
(Seer?)
(Child.)
(Why does my tail turn white every time I touch a Source?) Leira heard Anahita’s sigh. She glanced at her sleeping friends, marvelling that they couldn’t sense her conversation. They continued to dream peacefully.
(Darya thinks it’s shock. Others think it’s weakness.)
(And you?) Leira pressed.
Anahita’s thought responded, full of sorrow, (I haven’t had a hatchling return to me. Not in all my years. I have no legacy.) Leira narrowed her eyes, unable to keep track of the direction their discussion was taking. Why was Anahita concerned about her lack of offspring? Anahita continued,
(I feel you’ve evolved Leira. To help me; to help the Herd. The Herd needs a Seer, and I won’t live forever. You have…sensitivities. You can hear the Sources, speak to the souls within. It’s why I convinced Darya to let me to train you. We need a new Source, Leira.)

Leira trembled as she realised how she’d been used – Darya had no intention of letting her become a Guardian again. They needed her as a Scout, to leave the Nest and search for Sources. They’d just dangled that incentive in front of her, knowing that she’d throw herself into her training if she thought she could be a Guardian again.
(I guess you didn’t bargain on me wanting to stay with the Scouts,) she projected. (It’s probably the only reason you’re telling the truth now. You’ve no more leverage over me.)
(I’m telling you the truth now Leira, for the good of the Herd. Darya did what was necessary. You must too. The Herd’s energy is running out. We need another Source.)
Leira flinched with the force of Anahita’s thought and shivered as she felt the Seer cut their connection. She watched as the orbs in the chamber travelled through the water. They seemed dimmer than usual. Unwilling to process the discussion, or dwell on it for even a second, Leira plunged into a restless sleep.