Wave Forty Seven

Leira cried as she ended the projection of her memory. She wished she’d learnt sooner what her father had done to save her. She cried for the past tides she’d wasted, too proud to connect to him, to try to stem his loneliness or repair their bond. Too late, she realised as she was fading. She glanced at Tal, who was beginning to stir. She contemplated redirecting some of his energy into the task she’d started, but knew he was too weak. She couldn’t risk killing both of them. Better to let herself fade away and hope the others reached him in time. The gap she’d created was wider now. She could almost fit her head through it.

Leira pressed her face to the hole and watched as her father swam toward her. She felt her fingers tingling and tip of her tail began to twitch. Her energy seemed to be returning. Several moments passed and she felt more revived. The hole was still getting bigger too. She wondered how long it would take for her energy to fully drain. Maybe, just maybe, she had enough strength in her to cut a path through the rock and still live. The thought invigorated her, and she began to channel more of her newfound energy into her task. The gap began to widen. Soon she’d be able to wriggle free. Leira grunted and began to tear at the rock, amazed at how well her strength was lasting. Her father reached her and peered through into the cave.

As soon as his eyes met hers, she knew what he’d done. He was pouring his energy into the rock, into her, helping her to escape. Desperate, she tried to stop him, tried to override what he was doing. But it was too late. Exhausted, Eli could only reach his arm through the hole she’d created, and clasp her hand in his.
(Dad, please. Don’t-) Her thought caught and snagged in his mind.
(It’s the only way.) Eli’s reply was faint.
(Please. Let me use my energy. I’m the one who started thi-)
(It’s already done.) Leira gripped Eli’s hand in hers and watched as his life began to ebb away. The opening in the rock grew larger with every breath he took, until it was nearly large enough for her to pass through. As the light faded from his eyes, Eli turned his piercing blue eyes – dimming now – to Leira.
(Use my soul, Leira. Take it,) he thought urgently. (It’s always belonged to you.)

He unclasped his hand and Leira felt something drop into her palm and slide through her fingers to the sea bed. Eli drew a shaky breath, then his hand slipped from hers. His eyelids fluttered shut and the last of his life drained from him. Weeping, Leira tried desperately to squeeze through the gap they’d created, trying to reach her father. The hole was still too small. She felt her energy begin to seep from her again. She drew her tail to her chest, too weak to care. Her father’s death had been for nothing; her energy was still failing. And she couldn’t even reach him. She tried to comfort herself. At least she’d die within sight of him.

A whisper reached her mind, echoing.
(My soul, Leira.) Leira’s heart soared and she looked to her father, recognising the sound of his thought. His lifeless body still drifted just beyond the cave.
(Don’t waste it – you know what you need to do.)
How was he doing that? With a pang, Leira realised he’d attached himself to the fading Source. Even in death, her father was trying to save her. Shaking, Leira realised that was all he’d ever tried to do.
(I can’t… You can’t leave me, it’s too…I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I shut you out.)
(We were always connected Leira. You know that.) The whisper seemed to sigh through the water and Leira felt as though her father’s arms were wrapped about her.
(Let me be with Sirene. Set us both free.)

His words broke her and she felt his energy threatening to consume her. Drawing upon the diminishing Source his soul had attached to, Leira seared a hole in the rock big enough to free her. As soon as it was done, she burst from the cave and released the energy. She remained still, desperate to hear Eli’s whisper once more. But all was silent. He was gone. The Source had passed.

Feeling numb, Leira forced herself to return to the cave, to retrieve Tal. She wrapped her arms around his torso and used her tail to lever him out of the cave. As she passed out of the entrance, a shimmer of light in the debris near the cave mouth caught her eye. She remembered Eli had dropped something, and she carefully balanced Tal near the edge of the cave. She stooped to retrieve it. It was a beautiful amethyst shell. A sob caught in her throat as she turned it over, already knowing what she would see. Etched deep into the surface of the shell were two words: I’m sorry. Clutching the shell so tightly it caused blood to gush from her palm, Leira scooped Tal into her arms and raced back toward the Nest.