Wave Fifty Seven

Eager to spend more time with her hatchmate, Leira found herself trying to defend her sibling later that evening. They’d been given a small cavern to sleep in. It was cramped, and the water inside still smelt of the hogfish that had been massacred earlier.
(It’s just their way of life up here.)
(Yeah? Well it’s disgusting Leira!) Tal retorted. He swept his hand through his hair, distressed, and several orbs fell out. Nerida clutched at them before they could fall to the sand below them.
(Tal! We can’t waste these. We barely have enough as it is.) Nerida’s voice was solemn, and Leira knew she was hinting.
(Please, Nerida. Can we stay for one more tide? We’ve come all this way.) Nerida lowered her eyes.
(We don’t even have anything to report back yet. Not really.)
Hali rose from their bed of sea moss. (One more tide, Leira. And don’t go getting any crazy ideas about trying to stay here, or bringing her back with us. One Guardian is more than enough for us.) Leira wasn’t sure whether Hali was teasing, so kept quiet.

A tap sounded outside their cavern. The four Mer stilled. It sounded again. This time, Hali swam to the entrance of their chamber and peered out. She looked back at Leira.
(It’s for you.) Hali swept to the side to reveal Leira’s hatchmate, smiling in at them. Leira’s heart jumped as she saw her mother’s eyes staring at her. The feeling passed and she swam to the edge of the cavern.
(We have something to show you. Come with us?) Excited, Leira beckoned to her friends.
(We think we’ll leave you to it, Leira,) Tal thought wearily.
(We’ve seen enough for one day,) Nerida added. Feeling hurt, Leira lifted her chin and swept from the cavern. Her tail stirred up sand as she left and she heard Tal cough.

A small crowd of Surface Mer was waiting for her. The water was much darker now, and Leira found it difficult to see. She turned up her wristpiece slightly and the Surface Mer pressed round it, stunned. They swam to the edge of the lagoon and out of it through a small space in the rocks. From there, they continued to the Surface. Leira’s head broke through the black waves and she gazed around. A small white orb now hung in the air. It was the only light she could see, and it shimmered down on to the waves. Another Mer signalled to Leira to turn off her wrist orb. She quickly complied.

After several moments, Leira still didn’t know what they were waiting for. A dozen heads bobbed next to hers. They all seemed to be staring at the orb in the air. It disappeared behind a huge black shadow, and the Mer turned their attention to the dark surface of the water instead. Leira gasped as the waves began to crest around her. They were tinged with an electric blue that twinkled as the waves crashed. She raised an arm to get another Mer’s attention and exhaled in disbelief as the water she’d disturbed became alive with the same fluorescent blue sparkle. The other Mer noticed, and began laughing and splashing, agitating the bioluminescent plankton that lay on the water’s surface. Stunned by the beauty of it, Leira couldn’t take her eyes off the iridescent colours that danced about her body as she carved through the waves. Leira felt her hatchmate by her side, and the two laughed and splashed together, not needing to project to enjoy the moment.

The magical scene ended abruptly when an animalistic scream rent the air. It was fraught with pain, and Leira shivered. Frightened, she twisted about in the water – her movements sending ripples of colour across the sea. Terrified, Leira saw streaks of red mingle with the blue of the plankton. She reached for her wristpiece and adjusted the orb. Taking a deep breath, she ducked below the waves.

The sight that greeted her stopped her in her tracks. A giant bullshark was only a few lengths away. Clasped in its jaw was a female Mer, struggling for her life as the shark tossed its head from side to side, shredding her tail. Scales fluttered down to the seabed and blood poured from her sides, staining the water. Leira gazed at the vision before her, horror rooting her to the spot. Shaking her head to clear it, Leira came to her senses. She started forward, wanting to help. She was jerked backwards. Terrified she was being attacked, Leira tried to dart away. She remained clamped in place. Looking down to her shoulder, she saw a hand keeping her still. It was her hatchmate. The Surface Mer seemed impassive, and she shook her head blandly at Leira, before turning to swim away. Frantically, Leira blocked her path.
(What are you doing?) she screamed her projection. (We have to help her!) Leira’s pleas were ignored. She turned back to look at the attack, and her blood ran cold. The bullshark gave a final swipe of its head, its rows of teeth tearing through the Mer’s flesh. She went limp. The great beast darted away, Mer still dangling in its mouth. Fragments of her tail quivered in the water. Smaller fish dashed in to nibble at the chunks, squabbling and tearing at them.

Feeling bile rise in her throat, Leira held her hand to her mouth and turned aside. She rounded on her hatchmate.
(Why didn’t you help her?) The Mer turned to her and although Leira saw her mother’s eyes stare back at her, they were impassive and uncaring.
(These things happen all the time up here.)
(You don’t even seem sad!) Leira cried, passion rising in her thoughts. Leira’s hatchmate shrugged, not seeming to understand. They began to swim back to the lagoon.
(It is a shame,) she conceded to Leira after a while. Leira exhaled shakily. So they did have emotions. The thought comforted her; perhaps her sibling had just been in shock.
(A shame,) her hatchmate continued. (She was wearing the prettiest pearl headdress. And now it’s lost. Such a waste.) Leira had heard enough. They weren’t Mer, they were animals! She swiped her tail, grazing a nearby Mer, and swam away. Tears streamed down her face. It took a long time before they stopped flowing and she felt calm enough to return to her friends.

As soon as the tide turned, Leira was awake and shaking the others.
(Time to go,) she projected wearily. Hali caught Leira’s eye and raised an eyebrow, but didn’t press for information. Leira swam quickly from the cavern and headed to the edge of the lagoon. She waited impatiently for the others to reach her.
(Aren’t you going to say goodbye?) Tal asked. Leira couldn’t look at him.
(No. Let’s just go.) The exhaustion in her thought made it sound small.  Nerida reached across and squeezed her arm.
(We’re sorry you didn’t find your Source, Leira.) Leira searched Nerida’s face and saw genuine regret there. She’d forgotten about the search for a Source. With a small smile, she looked at her friends.
(It’s ok,) she thought. (There’ll be other chances. At least we have plenty to report back to Firth, so we shouldn’t get into too much trouble.) Hali didn’t look convinced at Leira’s assurances, but remained silent.

They left the lagoon and Leira felt the horror of the night begin to ease. As they began the journey back to their Nest, Tal’s face filled with sorrow.
(No! Oh, no! We don’t believe this!) Leira froze. Hali span round, searching for danger.
(What?) she thought frantically. (Tal, what is it?)
Tal looked at them sheepishly. (We forgot to bring any of the pearls and gems with us,) he projected in a soft tone. Hali looked at him murderously. Leira realised none of them had thought to put their ornaments back on after removing them to sleep. They’d left in such a hurry. She felt a pang of regret as she realised her shelf would be staying empty.

Nerida remained suspiciously quiet. Leira gave her a sidelong glance and saw she was shaking, hand over her mouth. A small giggle escaped from her lips and she turned to the others. As they gathered round her, Nerida opened her small bag. Firth’s orb glowed out at them and Leira shut her eyes against the blast of light. She peered in again. Inside, nestled around the orb, was a long rope of beautiful white pearls.