Wave Seventy Four

Two tides passed and the clans’ vote was still tied. On the eve of the second tide, Tal had brought Nerida back to their chamber. She looked weak, but she smiled bravely and projected her warmth to the others. As soon as she brushed past their curtain, she flew into Leira’s arms, sobbing.
(Thank you,) she thought solemnly, her gentle eyes fixed on Leira’s. Tal joined the embrace, never taking his arm from Nerida’s waist. Hali completed the circle and the four remained still for a long time. The orbs in their room flickered gently, casting a gentle light onto the three scarlet tails, and a white one, shimmering lilac.
After a while, Hali projected softly.
(What will we do, Leira?)
(What do you mean?)
Hali pulled them all onto the mattress. Tal made sure Nerida was comfortable and tucked a hide blanket carefully over her. She smiled up at him, grateful.
(We mean, the Herd is fractured. Some will want to dive deeper. But the spheres' poisons will reach them eventually.)
(So will the creatures,) Leira added. She remembered the looks in their eyes and the speed of the sphere that had killed so mercilessly.
(So, what do we do?) Hali persisted.
(What do you think we should do?) Leira asked, stalling for time. Hali looked at Tal, who bobbed his head. They’d obviously been discussing something away from Leira.
(We want to stay with you.) Her words settled in Leira’s heart. She knew then that it didn’t matter what her Herd voted. Whether they wanted to leave or stay, her friends would remain by her side.

Leira thought back to the spheres. She pictured the injured creature and the look in his eye – she’d thought about it a lot since. He’d looked haunted, somehow. Desperate. Then she remembered his thought. Hurt her. He wanted to fight. And so did she. Leira knew they’d have to leave before the vote ended. It would be easier to get away.
(It’ll be dangerous,) she warned.
(All of us, or none of us Leira,) came Nerida’s faint reply.

Leira felt the trauma of the past tides flow from her as she reclined on the sponge. Tal sprang up and let the seadragons out. They flew around the cavern, chasing after Tal as he tried to dodge them. In the end, he tore off the seaweed binding from his arm and threw it to them. He settled next to Nerida and took her hand. The four of them lay watching the little creatures as they drifted. Hali thought drowsily across to Leira as they all fell into a dream. Her words made Leira’s heart soar.
(Welcome back, Scout.)
                                                            Fin.