Wave Thirty Nine

Although the tide had turned, Firth gave orders for everyone to settle in for a while, to rest, before venturing out. Yawning, the Scouts had returned to their chambers. With a pang of sadness, Leira realised this was to be their last night in the big dormitory. They’d be reassigned different quarters to make way for new trainees.

Leira beamed as she found Tal and Nerida had already settled in to her hammock. She swam leisurely over to join them and grinned down at the sight of them, curled up asleep. She settled in next to Nerida, who sighed softly. Hali peered into the hammock and nestled in next to Tal. Leira waited for Hali to project, knowing what was coming. Here comes the interrogation, she thought.

(We love you Leira.)
Leira sat up, staring at Hali in disbelief. She hadn’t been expecting her to think that! Hali glowered back at her, smiling at Leira’s reaction.
(Not like that, you idiot. But we love you. You’re part of our team. We can’t imagine life without you.) And then Leira felt Hali’s love reach her from across the hammock. Her heart soared.
(I love you too Hali. Love all of you.)

(But Leira, we love the team too. You know we have to lead it. And we have to do what’s best for them.) Now the conversation was turning in the direction Leira had first guessed it would.
(What happened out there today Leira? Was it truly just a normal Guardian thing? You didn’t seem so certain before.)

Leira continued to gaze at Hali, weighing up her options. She didn’t want to lie to her friend, but she didn’t want to betray herself either and discuss her contact with Anahita. Then she’d have to admit to her secret training. And her deal with Darya. She knew that would hurt the others deeply. She wasn’t even sure she wanted to leave the Scouts anymore. But the lure of Source knowledge was growing stronger every second.

She decided to tell Hali a half-truth.
(I used my Guardian powers,) she projected carefully. (But I’m not sure how the rest happened.)
Hali kept quiet, waiting for Leira to project again.
(Let me figure it out before you discuss it with the others. Let me find out what happened. Trust me. Please.) Leira begged this last word. Hali grinned over at her, her green eyes glinting in the dimming orb-glow.
(You know I trust you. I don’t understand you, you big Guardian, but I trust you. I’ll keep your secret.) She paused, before continuing sleepily. (You know you can tell me anything though, right?)
Leira searched Hali’s face and knew she could. She started to project another thought, a confession, across to Hali, but noticed her friend’s eyelids starting to droop. She watched as Hali fell asleep, gone to join Tal and Nerida in their dreams.

Yawning herself, she resolved to join them. She snuggled up next to Tal. As she was drifting off, something stabbed at her and she peeled her eyes open trying to search for it, before realising what it was.
(Seer?)
(Child,) came Anahita’s calm reply.
(Thank you. For today.) Guilt began to creep down Leira’s spine. Perhaps she should’ve been the one to reach out to Anahita this time.
(You’re welcome, Child.) Leira could picture Anahita’s wise smile as she received her thought. (You did well today. But you haven’t finished today’s training.) Leira was puzzled, but only for a moment. Anahita continued.

(Now that you’ve connected with the Source, you need to locate it. It’s the next step. Where in the Nest is it?) Leira could feel sleep threatening to overwhelm her and she clamoured to stay awake.
(But I’ve never located a Source before!)
(No? But then, you haven’t consciously connected to one before, either. So I think, perhaps, you’ll be able to sense it this time, Child.) Leira smiled dozily and felt sleep dragging her under.
(Besides,) Anahita continued, (you handled this Source much better than the last one.)
(The last one?) Leira thought with a murmur, before sleep claimed her. She drifted off to join the others in their dreams, failing to notice that another streak of white had begun to snake its way up her tail.