Wave Fifty Eight

They took a different route back to the Nest. Hali must’ve known Leira couldn’t face swimming past the old nest. It brought back too many memories. They swam in formation, Leira at the rear. From her vantage point, she saw the orbs in her friends’ hair fading with every tide. The ocean had changed around them, bright turquoise fading to darker blues, as they swam deeper. Soon the waters turned to black. The orbs scattered through Nerida’s hair began to twinkle, losing power. They were weakening, breaths becoming laboured. Glancing at her hands, Leira noticed her vision had become blurred. She fumbled for the orb in Nerida’s bag, and drew it out. Although it gave them no energy, the glow from it comforted Leira.

A shining red face appeared in the orb. Startled, Nerida dropped the orb into her bag. The face remained. It was pale now, attached to a stocky neck and sturdy body.
(Sol?) Tal projected his disbelief. (What are you-)
(Doing here?) Sol finished. (We’ve been sent to search for you.) He gestured to two other Scouts who’d swum over to join them. Leira felt a rush of vitality swoop through her as their wrist-orbs threw off Source energy.
(Come,) Sol continued gravely. (Firth is waiting.) Sol sent Leira a fleeting glance. He looked uneasy. Leira tried to smile back bravely, but was worried for her friends. Her heart began to thump inside her chest as they followed the other team to the Citadel.

She felt Firth’s presence before she saw him. Ripples of anger flew from him as he dove from his waiting spot by the Nest’s gates. Leira quailed at the sight of him, and felt Hali press close.
(What if he throws me out of the Scouts?) Leira thought, in her smallest whisper.
(All of us, or none of us,) was Hali’s murmured reply. Leira felt her heart calm at the reassurance.
(Inside. Now.) Firth snarled it at them as soon as he reached them. Leira watched as Firth nodded to Sol, who bowed his head and left with his team. She turned to the Citadel and followed her friends to the main chamber. Once inside, Firth swept in front of them, blocking the way to the antechamber.

(Where is it?) he thought to them, gnashing his teeth wildly. His eyes rested on Nerida’s bag, and he tore it from her trembling fingers. The strap broke as he ripped it open. His eyes shone madly, lit by the red orb. Firth pulled it delicately from the bag and held it up, examining. Satisfied that it was not damaged, he cradled the orb in his arms. The bag fell to the floor, and Nerida hooked it with her tail. They waited for Firth to project.

Long seconds passed. Leira was weak under the heat of Firth’s glare. His hair flowed behind him in the current. His blue eyes surveyed them coolly. Leira knew he was trying to intimidate them. It was working. Eventually, he thought to them.
(You stole from us. You left the Nest. We’ve wasted time and energy searching for you. What do you have to say?)
(Firth, I-)
(Not you, Guardian!) He refused to look at Leira, and Hali began to think instead.
(We’re so sorry. We knew you wouldn’t let us leave, and Leira needed to search for – something - so we…) Hali’s thought faded as she tried to find the right words. She began again.
(We know that something’s happening up there. Something big. We went to the Surface and-)

(The Surface?) Kai’s harsh tone rang across the water. Leira hadn’t even seen him come in. (You reached the Surface?) His thought held a mixture of disbelief and admiration.
(Yes,) Nerida chimed in. (We found another herd.) Kai exchanged a worried look with Firth, and Tal hurriedly thought to them,
(They weren’t dangerous. Just…different.) Nerida pulled the piece of bone-like coral from her bag. She held it out to Firth.
(We found this up there. The coral’s dying.) Firth refused to take the coral. Kai reluctantly held out his hand for it, before thinking to Firth,
(We need to record this. It could be important.) Firth ran a hand over his dark brow.
(Fine,) he breathed. He looked at Hali. (Your team will go with Kai and record the details of your…mission. But don’t think this will go unpunished. When Kai’s done with you, go to your chambers.) His gaze moved to Leira. (We’re calling a Council meeting to decide what to do with you. Until then, we forbid you to leave the Nest.) Leira watched as her friends drooped with the weight of Firth’s command.

As the evening tide swept in, Leira began to relax. She was glad to be back in the safety of the Nest. Kai had drilled them for the details of their mission, then left them in their chambers. Hali and Nerida flopped onto the bed sending blooms of algae swirling into the water. Tal rushed to the sea dragons. They happily zoomed about the room before settling onto Tal’s stomach, trying to catch the falling algae. Tal reclined on the bed, and Leira listened as her friends began to recount their adventure. Hali noticed Leira’s silence.
(Why are you so sad?) she asked. Leira drew closer to the bed, afraid to voice her fear.
(Didn’t you hear what Firth said?)
(What?) asked Tal. (Don’t leave the Nest? We don’t plan to! Not for a while.) Leira shook her head.
(No, not that part. He said the Council would decide what to do with us. With me.) She left the rest unthought. The others were safe, she reasoned. They were Scouts. They’d always be Scouts. But she could be banished and sent elsewhere.

For once, Tal understood what Leira was thinking. He sighed dramatically and rolled over. The sea dragons scrabbled frantically to avoid being crushed.
(Leira. When will you get it into your head that you’re a Scout now? You won’t have to leave us. You’re one of us.)
(But Firth-)
(-was angry.) Nerida cut in. (We don’t think we’ve ever seen him so angry. His order, it hurt our mind when he thought it.) Nerida shuddered at the memory. (But he won’t send you away.)
(Yeah, it’s like we always said, Guar…er, Leira) Hali thought, correcting herself. She pulled Leira onto the mattress. (You’re stuck with us!) Leira felt herself relax as Hali and Nerida began to tease the orbs from her hair. She closed her eyes and began to enjoy the attention.

(Leira?) Leira’s eyes snapped open and her pulse quickened. Around her, the scene was exactly the same. Her friends were gathered on the bed, and the sea dragons floated on the current. The thought hadn’t come from within the chamber. With a sinking feeling, Leira knew who it belonged to.
(Where are you?) she projected.
(On the edge of the Nest,) came the reply. Darya’s thought sounded curt and harsh. With a pang, Leira realised she still hadn’t officially called off their deal. Taking a deep breath, she rolled from the mattress and swam to the edge of the room. No time like the present, she thought.
(Leira? Where are you going?) Tal thought it lazily across to her.
(I need to get out for a bit,) Leira replied. (By myself,) she added quickly.
Hali looked annoyed. (Firth said we couldn’t leave the Nest!) she reminded Leira.
(And I’m not going to,) Leira shot back. (But he didn’t say we couldn’t leave our chamber. I’ll be right back.) Leira tried to give Hali a reassuring smile, but felt it turn into a grimace. Reluctant to explain further, Leira twisted out of the chamber and darted out.