Wave Thirty Five

Instead of leaving the main cavern and swimming out for training, after receiving a nod from Firth, Hali turned and beckoned the others. As Leira followed them back to the antechamber, she noticed most of the gathered Scouts were shooting her furtive glances. It made a change from the open glares she was used to, she mused. Before Leira had time to question it, they were back in the antechamber. They all watched as Hali swam about, searching the different tunnel entrances. She projected quietly, muttering to herself,
(Which one was it? We haven’t been for such a long time; we can’t remember.)
(Oh, hurry up Hali,) Tal whined. (We’re bored!) Hali gave Tal a withering look that stopped his next thought before he could project it. Leira stifled a smile and watched as Hali continued to inspect the tunnels.

(It’s this one!) she projected finally. The tunnel forced them to swim in single file and led them deep under the Nest. Without warning, Nerida stopped in her tracks. The others must’ve slowed down too but Leira, caught in a daydream, slammed into Nerida’s tail fin. Nerida quickly twitched her tail to the side, but not before accidentally slicing her fin into Leira’s outstretched hands. Leira cursed and clasped her injured hand to stem the flow of blood that had started.

(Sorry!) Nerida projected, attempting to turn so she could see Leira. (Leira, that was an accident!) The tunnel was too small for her to turn fully, so she tried to turn back. Her arm caught and bent behind her back, and somehow her tail ended up nearer the ceiling than the seabed. Moments passed as she struggled to right herself. Eventually, she stilled.

(Stuck!) Nerida’s moan filled the tunnel. The sight of the beautiful and graceful Mer – usually so dignified – embedded in the tunnel walls, brought a smile to Leira’s face. She chuckled, despite her pain.

Laughing loudly, as Nerida thrashed to free herself, Hali and Tal managed to reach around her and pull her through a small gap in the wall. It was the entrance to the Council cavern.

Grimacing now, Leira trailed after them, taking in the strange scene before her. Her friends were still laughing at Nerida for wedging herself. Nerida stroked her hips and projected thoughts of discontent at her curves, but her eyes were bright and playful.

The cavern itself was small and almost stifling; the dark blue water in it reeked of stale seaweed. A lone orb hung from the centre of the ceiling. It gave off a clear, white light that showed all the particles in the room. Motes of algae and sand flurried every time one of them swished their tail. Leira saw several long benches stretching across the room, raised high enough that a Mer could sit comfortably and stretch their tail down. Small spires had been called from the sea bed at regular intervals along the benches, so the Scouts could sit on the bench and curl their tail around a spire, rooting them in place.

Where the Guardians had a mighty platform, the Scouts simply had a small space at the front of the cavern. Room enough for one or two Mer to address the others on the benches. The ceiling was low and sloped down toward the front of the room. She supposed the room could fit no more than twenty or so Mer in total, in comparison with the Guardian’s Council chambers which fit hundreds.

The others had already settled on a bench near the front, so Leira swam to join them, coughing as she dislodged a pile of sand on the seabed. She perched on the bench, next to Hali, and curled her tail around the spire just below her. She swayed slightly in the current. Hali must’ve sensed her concern, because she swung an arm casually across Leira’s shoulder and thought,
(Relax, Leira. You’re making us nervous. This is just a formality – and a Scout formality at that.) Her deep melodic thought echoed around the small space. (They’ll just give us a different trainer and tell us when to expect our next Test.)
(So we won’t be with Kai anymore?)
(Luckily for you, probably not.) Hali smiled and Leira felt herself finally begin to relax.

(How many-)
(-will show up?) Tal finished her sentence. (At least one! And…that’s probably about all. Oh, and the Seer. She always shows.) Tal rolled his eyes as he thought this.  

Anahita? Here? Leira prayed the Seer wouldn’t betray her by revealing their illicit training. Not that she’d actual had any training from the Seer – she’d felt Anahita’s presence several times over the last few tides, but blocked her on each occasion. Trying to resume a neutral expression, Leira smiled feebly and twisted to watch the entrance hall to the chamber.

Firth appeared first, his black hair flowing freely about his shoulders. His eyes widened as he saw Leira. Kai was next through, his steely blue eyes glinting fiercely. His jaw muscle twitched as his eyes scanned over Leira. Two other Scouts passed into the room, drawn to the meeting because Leira was still something of a curiosity, she supposed. Then came Anahita, her silver blonde hair shimmering about her like moonlight piercing the ocean water. Leira began to twist back around to face the front, and almost missed the sight of the next Mer to emerge into the room. It was Eli.