Wave Sixty Two

A blast of ice roused her. Dazed, Leira blearily opened her eyes. She tried to move her head, but someone was holding it. Her arms were pressed awkwardly around her back. Someone moved behind her. Her head was forced down into a channel of freezing water. Hands snatched at her hair, yanking her head back from the channel. Gasping, Leira projected wildly.
(Stop! I’m awake. Please sto-) Her thought was cut off as the hands shoved her back into the ice cold current. Leira tried to snap her head back, but the hands continued to press. She was pulled away again and pushed roughly to the seabed. Leira rolled onto her back and turned to face her attacker.

He was big. His pale chest rose above her. Muscled arms covered with sharp scales pinned her to the ground. Light brown hair, streaked with gold, flowed around him in the current. Tawny eyes gazed down, searching her face. A thick orb-embedded wristcuff shone down the length of his body. It lit up his tail. Black scales covered the length of it. It was barely discernable from the waters around them. His scales seemed to absorb the light, rather than reflect it, creating even more darkness.

He tore his gaze from her and tilted his head. He seemed to be listening to something. Or someone. Leira managed to turn her head. She saw another Mer gazing at them. His tail matched the colour of her attacker’s. His skin was almost as dark as his tail. It glistened as though oiled. His jet black hair was pulled back from his face. Seconds passed, and Leira realised they must be projecting. Why couldn’t she hear them? She reached out to the Mer nearest her. She was met with a wall of silence.  She returned her attention to the pair. They seemed to be arguing over something – both began to gesticulate madly. The one holding her hissed, baring his teeth. He wrapped his arm across her chest, shielding her from the other Mer. He responded by slowly circling, getting closer and closer. Leira struggled, trying to get away. She was met with an angry stare. Her attacker flashed his teeth at her, and moved to bite.
(NO!) She threw the thought at him, and watched as he recoiled. His arm flew from her and she darted free.

Regaining his composure, the Mer snatched at her wrist. His companion moved to help, and Leira found herself forced back to the seabed. Two faces peered at her. A harsh thought breached her mind.
(You can connect?) It took Leira a second to process his words.
(Yes,) she panted. (Now, let me go!)
Ignoring her, the Mer looked intently at one another. Leira knew they were projecting soundlessly. Eventually, one of them broke the silence.
(How are you doing it?)
(Doing what?) Leira shot back. Fear was making her jumpy and confused.
(How are you connecting? We were shielding. No Mer from another herd’s ever broken through before.) Leira considered his projection. His shield had been so subtle, she hadn’t even realised he was blocking her. A thought struck her.
(And how many herds have you come across?) The Mer stared at her, refusing to answer. His look filled her with unease.
(Where’s your herd?) Something about the way he projected prevented Leira from answering directly.
(I left them.)

The Mer clicked his tongue, irritated with her response. He pulled on her wrist, dragging her upright. The other Mer pushed at her back, forcing Leira to move.
(Stop – where are you taking me?) Leira demanded. The Mer picked up speed and she was not given an answer. Breathless, Leira watched the rugged scenery blur past as they raced on.