Wave Forty Two

(Wake up, dreamy head!)
Leira shuddered as she opened her eyes and found Hali’s face inches from her own.
(We made a decision while you were sleeping,) Hali informed Leira in her usual brisk way.
(Don’t you want to know what it is?) asked Tal, darting nervously around the room.
Leira replied laughing, (I would if you gave me chance!)

Tal drifted down to the mattress and curled his tail under it. The sea dragons swam over to him and after a few attempts to swat them away, settled on his shoulder.
(Maybe if you stopped wearing seaweed around your biceps to make your muscles look bigger, they wouldn’t follow you around!) Hali declared.
(Hali!) Tal groaned under his breath, shooting a concerned look at Nerida who was applying liner to her eyes in the corner of the room. When Nerida showed no signs of hearing them, Tal relaxed a bit and encouraged the others to return to their conversation.

(We’ve decided to speak to Firth. It isn’t fair that we’re being kept apart most days to listen to other Scouts who’ve been out beyond the Nest. Even being posted on the Nest walls would be better than being stuck inside the chambers filing slivers of rock!)
Hali glanced at Leira as if to gauge her thoughts.
(Something is happening out there; beyond the City. We should be out, trying to help,) Leira agreed.
Nerida glided over to them. (We don’t want to cause a fuss though.) Her big eyes were full of concern.
(We’ll wait until the others have left for the day. Then we’ll speak to Firth.) Hali’s thought rang with an air of finality that betrayed the look of doubt in her eyes.

It took an excruciatingly long time for all the other Scouts to leave the main chamber that morning and Leira found her mind wandering as Sol tried to converse with her. After a few failed attempts, he gave up gruffly and swept out of the cavern flouncing his tail. He was one of the last to leave. Hali had thought it best that she approach Firth alone, as the leader of their team, and Leira had reluctantly agreed. She’d been secretly disappointed to miss out on a chance to connect to Firth. Hali let Leira link to her thoughts though, so Leira could follow their conversation from across the cavern and relay it to Tal and Nerida.

The three Mer watched as Hali crossed the cavern and loped over to Firth, deep in conversation with Kai. The pair stopped projecting instantly and waited for Hali to address them. Leira heard her clearly. Her thoughts sounded a bit shaky, betraying her nerves.

(Firth,) Hali began. (When will we be sent out beyond the Nest?) Firth raised his eyebrows, seemingly shocked at Hali’s directness. He considered Hali for a moment, before replying.
(We see no need to send you out, yet. You’re still new.)
Firth turned back to Kai as though ready to continue their discussion, but Hali refused to be dismissed so easily.
(Firth, please! In the Council meeting, Kai said we were one of the strongest teams he’d ever seen! We have a Guardian with us and she’s…she’s special.) At this, the three Mer gazed across the cavern at Leira, who instantly dropped her eyes. She stopped projecting the conversation to Tal and Nerida. Firth pulled his gaze from Leira and thought to Hali and Kai,
(If she’s so special, then it’s better she’s kept safe, near the Nest. Right, Kai?) Firth looked to Kai for support, but the older trainer shook his head deliberately.
(We stand by what we said before. They’re a skilled team, and Leira is valuable. You should use her. Use them. Especially now.) Firth and Kai exchanged a glance and Leira’s curiosity increased. So something was going on beyond the Nest! She ached to find out what it was, and saw the same urge written across her friends’ faces.

Firth gnashed his teeth and Leira knew he was weighing up the benefits of letting them venture out on a real mission. Eventually he projected to Hali.
(Fine. We’ve received a report of some unusual activity near the old Nest. A Scout accompanying another Mer to the hatching site thought she saw a swarm of jellyfish. We don’t see how this can be true; even the old Nest is too far down for them to live. But if it is true, we need to know how many there are and whether they’re a threat. Track them, and report back.) Firth straightened his shoulders and flicked his tail. (You do not have permission to go further than the old Nest. No matter what happens. Do you understand us?) Hali’s head bowed with the weight of Firth’s orders. They were binding and it would be impossible to disobey him.

Hali dashed back across the cavern as Leira quickly told Nerida and Tal the final words Firth had thought. They were careful to wait until Hali reached them before reacting to the news, not wanting to give Leira’s eavesdropping away. Together, they quickly left the main cavern to get fresh orb-lights and prepare for their mission. Firth and Kai watched them go, their faces unreadable, until they too left the cavern.