Wave Sixty Three

Leira’s eyes widened as they led her into the nest. It was a great crater set within the sea bed. Its walls reached high, throwing down long shadows as they approached. Dozens of Mer swarmed to meet them, black tails sweeping through the water. A few of them tried to pluck at her scales, unused to seeing such colours. One or two brushed her mind with theirs, but none projected. Accustomed to the hustle and bustle of the Scouts, Leira was awed by their silence. She allowed herself to be led into the crater, and surveyed the waters.

The nest was a jumble of tents and crude huts. They were made from hides and seaweed. To Leira, they looked like they’d been hastily constructed. She searched for signs of other clans, but soon realised that only Black Tails lived there. She’d heard legends of such a Warrior herd. Stories meant to scare them when they were young, whispered with childish delight on dark nights. She hadn’t realised the stories were true.

Her captor swam over to her and grasped her wrist. He drew her through the muddle of tents. Leira tried to pull her hand from his grip.
(You’re hurting me!) He didn’t even acknowledge Leira, but continued to drag her. They reached the far end of the crater. The tents and huts were less dense here. The Mer stopped before a rickety shelter made from seaweed. It seemed to glow from within. Orbs were strung along it and shells lined the entrance. They jangled as the Mer brushed aside the opening. He pushed Leira inside and quickly followed. Hundreds of orbs free floated about the small space, and Leira had to swat at them to get past.

A youthful face with ancient eyes gazed at her. The face belonged to a Mer with graceful long arms, dainty features, and brilliant white hair that cascaded around her. Her tail shone a dazzling white, and Leira blinked against the light it made. The Mer left the rock she’d been leaning over and drifted closer. Her eyes glossed over Leira. She looked to the Black Tail. They projected in stillness before the White Tail nodded and thought aloud,
(Thank you, Naeco.) With a nod at the White Tail, he slipped from the tent. Without warning, the Seer dashed forward and grabbed Leira’s chin. She tilted Leira’s face toward hers. Her eyes bore into Leira’s, searching. She let go. Leira, stunned into silence, began to project. The White Tail cut off her thought.
(Where is your herd?) Leira remained mute.

The White Tail sighed, then turned back to her work. Curious, Leira edged closer. The Mer was bent over a hollowed-out rock. A small sphere of light lay inside it, pulsing and crackling. It sent off sparks of molten energy, and Leira shivered as one singed her arm. Leira noticed a pile of empty glass orbs in a woven seagrass basket. The White Tail snatched up an empty orb and, without hesitation, dipped it into the hollow rock. With her free hand, she scooped up a stray thread of light and pulled. It snapped free of the sphere. The Mer stuffed it into the empty orb. With a crackle, the energy was trapped inside. The Mer gave a hiss of triumph, and released the orb. It floated off to join the others, glowing brightly. Leira realised the light inside the rock basin was a Source, far smaller than the ones she’d encountered. Why couldn’t she hear the whispers within it?

Satisfied with her work, the Seer returned her attention to Leira.
(You’ll tell me your name then, at least?) Leira felt her tail buckle under the force of the gaze.
(It’s Leira.)
(Sedna,) came the reply. Leira paused, unsure of herself. Sedna had turned her back to Leira.
(When can I leave here?) she thought at last. A dry chuckle reached her, and Leira saw Sedna’s shoulders shake with laughter.
(Leave?) The Seer span to face Leira, her white tail twitching. (Go ahead.) Leira sensed she had more to add, but didn’t want to waste her chance. She’d been given permission to escape and-
(Good luck out there.) Sedna’s thought rang out. (We’re leagues and leagues from anywhere. You have no Source. No orbs. So, leave, by all means.) She clutched at a small orb floating near her.
(Here, take it. Consider it a parting gift.) Leira caught the orb and stared at it. The truth of Sedna’s words sank in. She knew she couldn’t leave without help. Sighing, she released the orb. It floated to the roof of the tent.
(That’s what I thought,) Sedna projected.