Wave Twenty One

Eli watched as his daughter sagged against the darkened mattress. He could feel her pain as though it were his own and hated himself for it. But he needed to keep her safe, keep her connected to the Herd – and the Guardians didn’t offer that.

(Where?) he heard Leira think to him, feebly. He didn’t need to ask what she meant, but she thought it to him anyway.
(Where will they put me?)
(You’re to work with the Scouts, Leira.)

          Leira nodded mutely. She must have guessed that, Eli thought to himself. The Scouts, with their scarlet tails and flame-red fins, were the nearest in clan and markings to Guardians. He realised it hadn’t occurred to anyone to ask Leira herself where she’d prefer to go. Would she have been better with the Blue Tails, the Carvers? Or even the Greens, helping to rear the hatchlings who made it back to the Nest? Leira had thought her role in the Herd was set. Now he was taking that away from her, and she didn’t even get to choose where she was put. In theory, Leira could still live and socialise with the Guardians. But in reality, if a Mer ever failed their Test, they usually left their clan completely. It was the price Eli was willing to pay to ensure Leira stayed safe.

    (And you’re sure they won’t let me try again?) Her thought sounded stronger now. A sliver of her old determination was creeping back into her eyes as she began to rise from the mattress she’d been shredding in her distress.
(Leira.) He thought it with a finality that told her all she needed to know.
(Did Cam make it?) Eli blinked, unsure how to respond.
(It’s ok if he passed the Testing and I didn’t,) Leira pressed, misunderstanding Eli’s silence.
(He’s gone, Leira.)
He watched as his child sank to the sea bed and long sobs overtook her.

          He moved to take her into his arms again, to embrace her before he took her to the Scouts and gave her to them. He projected his thoughts of love, expecting her to rush to him as she’d done before. Instead, she moved away.