Epilogue

I lean my shoulder onto the door frame, watching my brother as he finishes packing some things into a box. His room still looks the same, just a couple of things missing. One of them being a picture frame with a picture of him and I when we were little.

That means he's taking it with him. I can't help but smile but feel sad at the same time. This is my big brother. My built in best friend. My rock.

He's going to a college that's only four hours away, but somehow it feels like a lifetime. I've always gone to school with him. Senior year will be the first time we're not together.

I won't get to see him every day.

"Stop it."

I shake my head and focus on Hudson. "What?"

"Stop thinking like that."

He knows me to well sometimes.

"We can FaceTime, call, and text. Plus, I'm only four hours away. If you need me, holler and I'll be speeding down the highway to come help my baby sis."

"Hudson," I say laughing, but trying not to cry at the same time.

He tilts his head, knowing what emotions I'm trying to hide. "V, you'll be okay. I promise."

"I know," I say, quickly wiping tears away.

Hudson sighs, putting the cardboard lid on the box. He walks over to me and pulls me in for a bear hug. He squeezes me tightly, not letting go. "It'll be okay, Vienna."

"Don't let go?" I whisper.

"Never," he whispers back, squeezing me tighter.

"Hudson, we have to leave now if we want to beat traffic," my mom yells from the first floor.

He releases our hug and steps back. "Coming mom."

Picking up the box, Hudson leads the way out of his room and down the stairs. I follow him to the car and see that Jaden, Olivia, and Elea are all standing outside with my mom and dad.

Jaden has his arm around Olivia's shoulders and Elea stands next to her, crying like me.

Hudson sets the box into the backseat of his car and shuts the door. He turns around and walks up to Elea, pulling her in for a tight hug. She tucks her face into his chest, trying to hide her tears.

Which makes me cry even more.

Stupid emotions. I know we'll talk every day, but my brother is leaving. And watching Elea cry makes me cry.

My parents on the other hand look ecstatic.

Hudson makes his go around with hugs, giving Jaden and my dad bro hugs. He even gives Olivia a hug. Next is me.

He doesn't give my mom a hug because she'll be driving our other car right behind him and helping him move in. The reason my dad and I aren't going is because school starts back up for me tomorrow and my dad has to work, leaving only my mom able to help him.

The tears start all over again when he pulls me in for one last hug before he leaves. "Shhh V. It's alright."

I nod my head against his chest, knowing if I try to speak, I'll be crying all over again. Eventually he lets go and squeezes my arms. As he walks to his car, he smiles at me once more. The ignition starts and he pulls out slowly with my mom driving right behind him. The rest of watch in silence.

One by one, everyone starts to leave after Hudson's and my mom's car disappear from view.

My dad's the first to go, squeezing my shoulder before he head's back inside.