2

I walk behind Chloe into The Horseshoe, one of the many pubs in Manchester. According to Chloe, this one also has Guinness. And for just meeting this morning, I think we're doing pretty well. We have things in common, but she was an English major and I was in political science. We both loved Scotland, and both loved Giraffes. And we agreed after a day of unpacking it was time for a drink.

We walk over to a table where a group of people are standing with beers, "And there was this giant goat, eating this stack of hay, hey Chloe," he says quickly as he carry's on with the story. "So the goat is eating eating eating, and as he chips away at it, this wooden box becomes revealed. And under this stack of hay, is a treasure chest. A bloody treasure chest. And in it, is a collection of penis's." He puts his hands down, to end the story, taking a sip of his beer.

"Jesus Christ, you're kidding," One of the women of the group says.

"Wish I was love," He sets his beer down.

"What did Micheal Whitehall have to say about this?"

He scoffs, "You think we went into a barn with me and my brother," he tightens his face as he smiles.

Chloe puts her purse on a chair, "Where were you?"

"Germany." He sits up straighter.

"And who are you?" One of the girls asks me.

Chloe looks back at them, "Oh this is y/n."

"Nice to meet you all. I hope you don't mind me imposing on yous." They all say I'm not. When who can be sure, they're British. "Excuse me." I nod out of the table and walk over to the bar.

"Can I have a Guinness. And a porter please," the bartender nods and walks to the tap.

"Fresh off the boat?" He asks me, his American accent sounds almost refreshing.

"More like an Airplane, I'm going to Uni here." I laugh, leaning on the bar. "Shit, I forgot my passport."

"Oh no, you're fine. A girl as pretty as you doesn't look like an irresponsible teenager."

I chuckle, "Oh, just an irresponsible adult?"

"Maybe a little," He puts the Porter on the bar and takes out a Guinness glass.

"You're not seriously poring like that?" I ask him. He looks up at me confused. "And you're a bartender?"

"What?"

I sigh and look around me. I quickly sit on the bar top and move to the other side, moving him over. "I can't believe I need to teach you. Watch," I chug the small amount and put the glass back under the tap. "You fill it to right under the words..." I let up the tap hold as it reached the mark. "And leave it for a minute while you make the other beer, like...you." I point at the goat treasure chest guy now at the bar. "What do you want?"

"A Porter," he answers, uneasily.

"Where are those glasses?" I ask him, instead he just gives me it. I fill it generically, like he was doing with Guinness. I then hand the drink to him. "Will you bring one to Chloe?"

"I'd rather stand here and watch how this goes."

I roll my eyes and look back at the uncomfortable bartender, "Now watch. You put the faucet in the beer, and push it backwards, so you keep the layer of foam on the top." I let it fill up, "And you want it so it's almost a bubble on the top. But that's science, and so is the art of Guinness." I finish, and pick up the glass, taking a swig, "Am I still the pretty girl?" He doesn't answer as I walk back to the other side of the bar.

"You've been here less than 12 hours and you're already showing up bartenders."

"Well he was doing it wrong. It would be against everything I stand for not to show him how to pour a correct glass of Guinness. It's an art."

He laughs, "Well I think you just told him it's a science."

"It can be both," I lean on the bar. "I'm Y/N."

"Jack. Have you known Chloe for a while?"

"Shit, her drink. Hold on, I'll be back," I pick up her drink and try to carefully rush it over to Chloe. I set it on the table and begin to walk away again, "Where're you going?"

"Back to Jack. Then my Mum's bound to call me soon."

She dismisses me and I walk back to the bar, "Right, where were we then?"

"How Guinness is and art, and a science."

I laugh, taking a swig, "Well those are just facts."

•••

By now, I had had 4 beers, and I didn't pay for one of them. The bartender who's name I learned was Mark, let me have my Guinness on the house for, obvious reasons. As well as many shots of unknown substances, which wasn't safe, but I'm Irish, so who cares?

After chugging beer number 4, it took me 10.3 seconds, we timed it, and I had no idea anyone's name, but Chloe and Jack, but I think I was going to be invited to the next hangout, I had also been nicknamed Emerald Isle, for being the only Irish person in Manchester. With the addition of that I downed a pint of Guinness in 10.3 seconds.

"Hey Em!" Someone calls to me. I turn to Chloe walking to me holding my ringing phone.

I answer it, "Hello?" and block my other ear to hear.

"Y/n? Where are you?" My mum asks.

"The pub."

"Jesus," my dad comes on, "is it supposed to be Irish?"

"Yes Da, it is."

"Them bastards." I laugh at my fathers hatred of the British.

"Have you made friends then?"

"Yeah. My roommate took me out with her and some of her friends."

"Are you having fun? Did you get in safe?"

"Yes Mum, I'm happy, and safe, and dandy. Can I talk to you tomorrow when I'm not in a crowded bar?"

"Yes, Yes, go on. I love you."

"Love you too Mum, bye." I hang up the phone.

Another pint appears in my hand, "I think the entire room might be in love with you," Jack looks around the bar, and then I'm brought into some other game.