15

Over the next 24 hours Molly becomes the sister I never had.

"Mummy, we're going out," She says picking up her bag, me following.

"And where exactly?"

"Oh, I don't know, I was thinking Harrods."

"Where are you going?" Jack walls over to where we are at the doorway, placing a hand on the small of my back.

"Look, you brought a girl home, and I'm going
to have fun with her. We're both the middle child and in need of a sister, and it seems you're the only one who's provided one. Now, we're going."

I glance at him looking at Molly in confusion. I pull myself by his hand closer to him and kiss him, "Don't have to much fun with out me."

He smirks as I close the door behind me.
I hop down the stairs and meet Molly in her small Nissan parked on the side of the street. I sit in the passengers and buckle in.

"Now," she starts the car. "Where do we fancy going?"

"So you know how to drive a car, but Jack doesn't?"

"Neither does Barney," She looks at me giving me and upset face. "Now really, Harrods? A pub? It's up to you. Sister bonding day."

I laugh, and look around at the growing London buildings as we drive further. "I have a request...The Globe."

"You're in London and you want to see a rickety theatre?"

"I do, actually."

•••

We come back home at 8, with an armful of bags. "Jesus," Mr. Whitehall meets us at the door. "What on earth did you buy?"

"Just some small knickknacks," Molly answers setting it down in the very British room Mr. Whitehall and I shared a wine 4 years earlier.

I set mine down and sit next to Jack. "I got you something," I whisper in his ear.

"Well? Show me!"

I laugh and reach into the small paper bag. I pull out the small parcel and hand it to him. He smiles as he grabs it. And slowly undoes the top, opening it. He sighs when he sees what's inside, "You didn't..."

"I very much did." He pulls out the Shakespeare rubber duck, finished with the mustache and cone of fluff. I scootch next to him and point to the piece of paper it's holding. "Did you see? It says To quack or not to quack," I pull off my best British accent.

He laughs, "William Shakes-quack." I laugh with him. "Thank you, my love," He kisses my cheek.

"You're welcome, darling," I smile back.

"And we stopped at Buckingham Palace..." Molly sits on the arm of the couch next to me. "What did you name that duck we saw?"

"Oh! We saw this Mallard swimming in the pool of the Victoria statue, and I named it Mal-bert."

"Jesus, you should have heard the laughing, she didn't stop to breathe. I honestly thought she was going to die." The room laughs. "Oh! You should put that juice in the fridge before it goes bad."

I stand up, "Yes, good idea." I pick up the grocer bag and bring it to the kitchen with me.

I walk through the swinging door and place it in the Refrigerator in a spot I thought would be the most out of way.

"Y/N?" I jump at his words, making the items in the fridge shake with me.

"I-I'm sorry. You startled me. Yes?"

"Don't tell me you're dating Jack?"

I laugh, "Is that because I told you I wasn't going to when we spoke about it years ago?"

"It's because, bloody hell you're to good for him. A girl who appreciates a good wine is already better than the excuse of a son I raised."

I politely laugh, "I hate to report I've fallen in love with him, sir."

"Really?" He leans on the island. "That's a bummer. I suppose there's no escaping you now. Well that's good. Jack did have a crush on you."

"I suppose that worked out for him then."

"What are you putting in there?"

I look behind me at the open fridge door. I close it, "Oh, I'm obsessed with this juice I thought they only had in Ireland since I could never find it. But we did so, I bought a liter of it."

He slowly nods his head, "Come now," he pats the island. "Sit with me." He opens a glass cabinet and pulls out a bottle of scotch. Putting it and two glasses between us. I sit down as he pours half a glass into each. "Now, I never want to really know about Jacks personal life, but you are the only thing I've ever wanted to learn more about."

I laugh, "I feel you already know everything about me. If you know I love scotch, that's really all you need to know."

"Now. I don't mean to pry, but I was sorry to hear of your parents passing. I was about your age when my Dad passed, I would say. I was newly out of university. But my father had died of illness. And yours died suddenly, is that right?"

"Yes, that's correct." I clear my throat in an effort to hide my complete devastation.

"From what Jack told me, they were very, interesting..."

I scoff, "Well neither of them could remember his name. In fact, on my mothers death bed she told me that Phillip was good for me." He laughs with me. I look at my drink, "See my mother never bothered to learn Jack's real name. My father knew, but rarely cared enough to use it. He liked a good scotch as well. He taught me everything I know about anything really interesting. Cars,
cigars, Scotch. He was born in Scotland, so he didn't mind them." I laugh at my next thought, "In fact that's the only place he would let us travel on vacations to the UK. Scotland and Spain were the only trips." I quickly shake my head. "You don't want to hear me talk about my parents. It's not like you're ever going to meet them."

"Well, then make me feel like I have."

My mouth slowly opens in shock, and I shyly smile. "Well, uh. My mum's jaw would click when ever she would chew. And it annoyed the crap out of me, I couldn't sit near her at dinner..."