20

Jack places his hand on the small of my back, "Have you met my fiancé?" I blush at fiancé.

"No, I haven't, It's wonderful to finally meet you..."

"Oh, Y/N," I take her hand and shake it.

"Julia." She smiles, "We're all so happy you're back.  Jack with out you was a shit show," she leans her. I notice her American accent, and half laugh at both.

"Well. I'm glad to be back," I smile up at him.

"Did you see Hammond O'Cleary is here," She nods her head over to where the older black man and his wife are talking.

Jack looks over, "Would it be to pushy to walk over now?"

"No! Go on," I nod.

Julia shakes her head, "Are you kidding you just got here. You have to play it cool."

"Then let him be swamped at the end of the night."

"I'm telling you. Wait."

"If you show him you're eager-"

"You're right. I should go later," Jack looks over.

I roll my eyes, listen to the work mate. As if I know nothing about people. I scoff, and shake my head.

"What?" He looks at me.

I just shakes my head, "I was coughing."

He doesn't believe it, but another person comes over before he can say anything.

•••

"How do you know Jack?"

"We're engaged," I nod.

"Are you? Jesus no one told me."

"Well it's only been a few weeks so."

"Can I see the ring?" The old woman leans forward. I quickly whip out the diamond. She takes my hand and smiles at it admiringly. "When I was 23 my husband went off to the war. And he never came back. I mean his body did but...not his sex-"

"Darling there you are," Jack comes up to us. "Hello Mrs. Hamlin, how are you?"

She takes his hand, "Is that your ring?" The woman looks up at him. He smiles and nods. "I was just telling her about my husband-"

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Hammond leans into our group. "But Y/N?"

"Hello Ham!" I hug him. "How are you?"

"I'm very well. I never would have thought to see you out of Gweedore. How are your parents."

"Oh, they died a few years ago."

He frowns, "I'm sorry to hear that. Your father was a good friend of mine. I'm upset we didn't keep in more contact when I left."

"He was too." I sadly smile. The old woman's since walked away from the group.

He walks in front of us. I put my hand out to Jack, "This is my fiancé Jack. And Jack, this is my godfather..."

"Hammond O'Cleary?"

"The only black guy in Ireland," He laughs, shaking Jacks hand.