7

"I'm not being stupid right? I mean, I'm taking charge."

"Taking charge!" Jack shouts, lifting his beer in the air.

"He's nothing with out me," I conclude, sitting up.

"Well, darling. I feel like you can do that to a person."

"What?" I look at him.

He burps, and continues, "Well, you're so fun, and so, you. That you want to take in as much of you as you can. Making it impossible to live a life without you."

"Is that a compliment."

"Yes," he bangs his chest, "it is."

"You know you're a very hard person to find."

My eyes widen, and I slowly look back to where Jim is, hands in his pockets, all smug. "We were just leaving." I grab Jacks arm and try to pull us both out, but he grabs my arm to stop me.

"Why are you running away from me?"

"I'm not running," I correct. "I'm avoiding."

"That's no better lass."

"Oh, catch yourself on."

"Can I talk to you," He quietly leans to me, "over dinner maybe?"

"No, I already made the mistake of going out with you."

"Can you talk to me now then?"

I pull my arm away from his grasp, "Why would I do that?"

"Because you're rightfully mad at me, and I need you to realize I'm not an arsehole"

I scoff, "If you have to make the point that you're not an asshole, that might be a hint you are one."

I hear Jack laugh as if I 'roasted' Jim, we both look at him in a 'shut up' way, and he does.

"I made mistakes-"

"You make a mistake, and then you made choices. You think I don't know about all the girls, the parties?"

"I was in Primary School, and you were off with guys-"

"Who were your friends! I was off with people I assumed you trusted me with. And I didn't trust you with anybody but my friends. But I guess in Aoife's case, I couldn't even trust my friends."

"I thought we wouldn't survive if you went to England, and I got mad when you refused to listen to me, and I snapped."

I scoff, "Do you know why I was at your house that day anyway?" He remains silent, "Because I was going to stay. I was dumb enough to fight for a relationship we both knew wasn't going to work out. We were 17 and engaged, and I wasn't even pregnant."

"But we were in love, and I believe we still are-"

"What we had wasn't love, Jim. We cared about each other, but we weren't in love. It wasn't healthy, we didn't trust each other, and now it's over. And it has to stay that way."

He stands up straighter, "You loved me, you said it first, you accepted a ring, we were in love," he punctuates his words.

"We were the 'it' couple, and we both wanted to stay that way. But we're not kids anymore."

"We weren't kids then-"

"Hey, dude." Jack takes a step forward. "She told you to get the fuck away from her."

Jim scoffs, "I don't know if you were listening, british twit. But she didn't tell me to fuck off, she might've told you."

"Don't talk to him like that."