14

I rush in the apartment building lobby to get out of the thunder, "Bonsoir, Madam Y/LN."

"Bonsoir Paul," I shake off my umbrella. "Do you know if Jack has returned home? He didn't answer my call," I say in Paul's native language, french. It was kinda the thing that made me his favorite.

"He was just on the elevator, but don't tell him I told you that Madame."

I laugh, "Merci, Paul."

"Tres bien."

I use my umbrella as a cane to the elevator and onto the floor our apartment was on. Jack had been doing really good with comedy writing, which let us afford a place like this. Though I was still in law school I felt guilty I wasn't bringing as much in as he was. But I decided not to think about it to stop future anxiety attacks.

When I unlock the door, the house is like a British fog, but only in our flat. I try to swat the intense smoke from my face, "Jack?" I cough.

He appears, "I tried to cook you dinner. It didn't go very well."

I laugh, "I see that." He leads me into the living room. "Why would you ever touch anything in the kitchen."

"Because..." he shrugs.

I put my hands on my hips, "What did you do?"

"The BBC signed for a Pilot!" He yells.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Remember that show I wrote?"

"In college?"

"Yes! But I polished it recently and they loved it."

"And they funded it?"

"Well a Pilot, to see if they like it. But it's step 1!"

At the sight of his face, I smile too. "That's," I walk over to him. "That's amazing, Jack. I am so proud of you." I kiss him.

He pulls away from me after a bit. "There are so many geers turning in my head. So many visions for this show."

I walk into the lowering smoke kitchen, "What did you even try to make?"

"Pasta?..."

I laugh, "You didn't just put half the box in a hot pot, did you?"

"That's how you cook it," His head turns at my question.

I burst out laughing, "You have to boil water first you eejit. Jesus, it's a wonder you've lived this long."

He walks into the kitchen and sits at the island, "It never said that on the box."

"What box are you looking at? Because I'm looking at the directions right now."

He rolls his eyes, "So, then what's for dinner?"

"I'm sure your parents will have dinner made for us," I look at my watch to see how much time we have left. "Did you pack?"

"No, did you?"

"No, but you take forever. And I don't feel like packing for us both," I walk into the bedroom and slide out our suitcases.

"I do not take forever."

I sigh, "I'm just using the big trunk for us both."

He jumps on the bed, "You think the Manchester crowd are mad?" I tilt my head asking for clarification. "I don't mean mental, which they are. I mean angry, for us leaving?"

I put the suitcase open on the bed, "I suppose they might. We did sort of just move to London after University."

"We had good reason though. I mean we both had opportunities here. You had Law School, I had the job at the BBC..."

I begin to pace the room back and forth putting clothes in, "I suppose I could've gone to school in Manchester. And you a job there."

"Yes, but we're happy here."

"I'd be happier if you helped pack," I look at him in a guilt tripping way. He sluggishly stands up and gathers his own clothes.

•••

It had been a few months since we had moved into London. Now it was Christmas time. I couldn't go home. There was no way I was going to mussle through going home. Me and Daniel had begun to feel the same way about home. If our parents weren't there, it would just be filled of the memory that they're gone. So, I was meeting the parents. This time officially.

"Well, hello there," his Dad answers the door. "Look who Jack brought to stay. The girl he said he would never bring home."

"It's nice to see you again Mr. Whitehall."

"Good god it's been long, hasn't it? You look  nicer since the last time I saw you. Fuller, if I may say."

I chuckle, "Th-Thank you, sir."

"Please, please come inside. Hillary! Jack's come with Y/N!" He yells back. "Oh, put that at the stairs. Why'd you bring such a large bag?"

Mrs. Whitehall emerges from the kitchen, "Oh! Y/N! It's lovely to see you again dear."

"Thank you so much for the kind flowers. I never had the chance to thank you in person."

"Oh, it's the least I can do. My father died when I was about 40. But both of yours gone so soon. I can only imagine the pain you've gone through."

"Alright Mummy. This is Christmas, let's talk about happinesses." Jack walks over and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"I was just being sympathetic Jack. No need to get your knickers in such a twist," His mum walks past us, her robe still on.

Barney walks past us, stopping in front of us, "Oh, hey Isle." Last year Barney came up to Manchester for a weekend and had drinks with us and our friends. And so he was let in on the nickname.

"Hey Barney!" I hug him.

"I didn't realize you were coming here for dinner."

"Oh, well," I try not to mention my traumatic past, prompting me coming here.

"Y/N!" Mr. Whitehall calls over to me, saving me. "Come, let me give you the tour of the house." I've already stayed here, but I'm not about to pass up a tour by my boyfriends father.

We walk into the kitchen. Which is large, and classic. It has the white and black tiled ground. The stainless steal sink, Refrigerator, dish washer, oven. "Down here," he points to a trap door, opening it to show rows of wine, "This is where I keep my second family," he whispers, and I can't stop my laughing.

Then the doorbell rings, and he's out the door. "Daddy! Stop, Daddy! Let me do it-" Jack walls out after him. I walk into the hall next to Jack to see what all the fuss is about.

Mr. Whitehall opens the door, "Oh, where's your boyfriend."

"It's not Christmas yet, Daddy," She kisses his cheek and walks down the corridor, "Hello Jack." She kisses his cheek. All done in the poshest way possible. As she falls back to the ground she spots me, and smiles. "Who's this?"

I put my hand out, "I'm Y/N."

She slowly takes it, "You're the girl who took him to Ireland!"

I nod, "Yes, I am her."

"It's good to put a face to the name..." Her smile brightens.