13

"That is not true!" I yell, standing from my seat at the bar table. Now that we were nearing graduation, we felt more relaxed to tell stories of our pasts, and have a few more drinks.

Dan laughs, "It so is!"

"I asked you first, ok? You didn't answer, so I went ahead!"

"Oh yes, and that's better," Dan throws his hands up.

"I will say, as a witness," Jack puts his arm around me. "It looked awkward."

"See!" We both yell at each other. "Wait," I raise my eye brows, "Who's point does that make?"

Just then my phone rings, I look down and see Micheal calling, "Give me just a moment. This is not over." I point at Dan as I walk to a side of the bar. "Micheal? Why are you calling me?
Did you decide to become a good brother all of a sudden?"

"Mum and Da are in the hospital," He says between breaths. "I-I'm in the emergency room. I don't know what's happening, they haven't come to tell me anything."

"What?" I say, my voice shaking with my entire body.

"Jesus, I think Mum's dead, Y/N. I-I think she's..."

"Dead? No, no no. I just talked to them like an hour ago. No, you're lying."

"I just called Daniel, he's on a flight over from Glasgow. I really think you should come too."

"Mhmm..." I rub my face, and wipe my swelling eyes water away.

"So you'll be here?"

"Mhmm."

"Y/N?"

"Mhmm?" I lean on the wall.

"We're in the Letterkenny hospital." I don't respond. "Just, come soon."

"Mhmm," I nod. I walk over to the table, with out even thinking of where I'm going. The world is spinning.

"Are you ok?" Jack asks me, putting out his arm to support me.

I shake my head, and hand him the phone. He uneasily takes it, "Hello?...Hey Micheal, what's-...Oh my...Yes, Yes. I'll try to send her off now...You want me to...Yeah. Yeah, I'll call him. Awesome, yeah. Alright, well bye. I'll pray for you." He hangs up the phone and looks at me. He looks over my smudged makeup and tears. He holds my hand, and squeezes it, whispering in my ear, "You want to go home?" I nod. He grabs his sweater and my bag. "Look guys, we gotta go. We'll meet you guys tomorrow." They're all of course outraged when we have to go. But he pushes us out anyway.

He keeps my phone whispering, "Daniel, Daniel, Daniel," as he swipes through my contacts. He finally finds him, and dials. "Hey. Hi, I assume you heard... Yeah, yeah. When are you going?...4 hours? Jesus, we might not make it. Does she still have clothes in Ireland, do you know?" We stop in the middle of the street. "...alright. Then we'll just have to go back and get a car...Fuck I can't drive..."

"I'll drive," I groggily say.

"The hell you are." He glances at me. Then back ahead, "Look. I will find a way to get her there. I promise...Alright. Bye."

•••

I step into the glass door of the hospital room. Where my mother lay almost motionless. "Mum?" I barely make out.

"Oh, hello love. I can't really give you a cup of tea can I?"

I sourly laugh through my tears, "I suppose you can't." I hold her hand through the bed bracket, "Mum, I love you."

"I love you too. You know you always were
my favorite child, don't tell your brothers. Now, before I go." She adjusts herself. "Do you have a paper and pen?"

"Mum, please don't do this," I cry harder.

"Is there a pen and paper?" She asks more strictly.

I look around me and land on the nightstand where there'a a legal pad and, with some purse digging, a pen. "Mmhmm," I click the pen open.

"Number 1, how to make good Irish bread..."
There are about 27 more bullets to come. Each something I have no interest in but I write it down for the day it will mean the world to me.

"Now," she dry coughs. "Now, you don't need to write this down, but Phillip is good for you, lass." I scoff at her words. "He is. I've never seen you this happy. And I know that's partly my fault," She coughs again. "And I know we were all hard on Phillip."

I laugh, "His name is Jack, mum."

"What did I say?"

"Philip, Mum. You always say Phillip."

"Jesus, I'm on my death bed here, Y/N. You could save the jokes."

"I'm not-" I take a deep breathe.

"My point is, that you have found the person who will give you your life. He will never not be apart of every decision you make. And that's exactly what you want." She cups her hand on my cheek and I lean into it. "You were destin to do great things Lass. Use what you need to harness the wind."
•••

I sit on my bed, the bed my Da built, looking at the room my Mum designed, and just feel sorry for myself.

Daniel leans on the doorway, "Hey kiddo." He always called me kiddo because he wanted to be american growing up. "You ready?"

I shake my head. I didn't even bother with Make-up, I knew I was going to cry to much. I look at him, he's standing with his head ducked because of how tall he is. "You look just like Da," I sadly laugh.

"Well you look just like Mum," he responds. "I guess Micheal has it the best."

"I guess." He comes and sits next to me on the bed. He puts his cold hand on my knee.

"We're not seriously just leaving Micheal here," I look at his bony hand.

"We have lives, Y/N. Micheal still has our family."

"I never want to come back, I can't believe he would want to stay."

He scoffs, "We grew up here. This is where I had my first kiss, where I learned to drive. Had my first beer. And you don't want to come back?"

"This isn't a home to me anymore. This is where I met the greatest regret of my life. Got hit for the first time. Basically got raped, and called it having sex. Where I first tried to drink my feelings away, where life let me down. Where my-" I pause to let a tear fall. "Where my childhood died."

He nods, "I know. But does England give you really what you want? There will always be something about home."

I smile, "Yes. Daniel I can breathe there. I laugh there. I haven't gotten drunk in months. I just have a Guinness, and go home with the person who makes me happy. And I never want to leave."

"Y/N!" Micheal yells. "Something's here for you?"

I stand up and walk through the living room to the kitchen, "What? Is it an "I'm so sorry, take my money" card?"

I walk through the living room doors and see Jack with a suitcase standing at the front door. "I don't have money. But I am sorry."

I run to him at the door and jump into his arms, "Thank you," I repeat.

When I finally let go of him he brings the huge suitcase in. "I brought us both some clothes. I didn't know how long you're staying..."

"Oh no. I want to go back tomorrow."

"Wh-What?" Daniel says behind us.

I turn around to him, "Well they're both dead. There's nothing to stay for."

"So that's it. You're leaving?" Michels looks at me, looking abandoned.

"I need to leave, Micheal. I can't explain this to you as well."

"Well we have things to finish here."

Daniel walks forward, "They left the house to all of us."

I look at my watch, "We better get going if we want to be first at the Church."