Chapter 10: Glimmer of Hope

Number Three's POV

         It's been a long night. We decided early on to sleep in shifts and we would wake each other up if anything changes, but so far nothing.

        It's not like I'm sleeping much anyways. The nightmares of the destruction of Panem are too much for me. I sat up with Marina for awhile being the comfort and support she needed. She's known Ella the longest and is therefore the closest. I know Marina treats her like her sister. I consider her that too, although after our reunion, we didn't have as much time to spend together.

        Eventually, I told Marina to try to get at least a little sleep and she did settle down for a little while, but I seriously doubt she slept much. None of us really did. We all just waited by the phone, waiting for a call that has not come. It's torture, Six told me so. I actually had a soft conversation with Six, seeing beyond her hard exterior. She was genuinely worried for Ella and scared for the future as well as Sam Goode, her supposed "boyfriend", although she openly denies that they are not together. However, Christina has told us otherwise.

        I watch the sun rise through Christina's window and I'm filled with a sense of peace. It's a simple sign of beauty in an otherwise bleak and dark world. I feel so lost right now, unable to do anything for Ella or the others. All have are these useless powers that hardly amaze anyone.

        Eventually, I climb through the window and walk down to the seventh floor. I change my clothes and get something to eat. I grab a few pieces of fruit and a slice of bread before sitting down to eat. That's when our mentor strolls in and sits across from me. I'm not exactly in the mood for conversation with her, especially when she was so rude to Marina.  I avoid eye contact  with her as I eat to get some energy for another long day.

"You look like crap" she says, out of of the blue.

I look up at her and glare. "Thanks a lot"

"What I mean is, you look like you hardly slept. Was the little pervert keeping you up with her endeavors"

"No..." I'm really trying to keep my anger in check.

"Not surprised that they managed to keep so quiet, must be some time..."

"Can we please talk about something else?" I suggest through gritted teeth.

"Sure, to be honest, you're the only kid I have hope for getting through the first day. You actually know stuff, meanwhile all she knows is to go around and..."

"Stop it!!" I hiss angrily.

"What's your problem chunky? I'm actually complimenting you. You actually have real chance to live through this. You're the one that sponsors will want to route for. The underdog from the lumber district, maybe we can actually win this year... I want a better reputation than screwing with..."

"SHUT UP!!" I yell, jumping up from the table, sending a glass of juice flying. "MARINA IS MY BEST FRIEND AND SHE'S WAY MORE SKILLED THAN I AM, IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU'LL EVER BE ABLE TO COMPREHEND, IF YOU CAN!! SHE IS IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE!! I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, BUT KEEP YOU STUPID OPINIONS TO YOURSELF. YOU'RE THE WORST MENTOR I'VE EVER HAD!! YOU'RE A REAL B**** AND AT THIS POINT I'M WILLING TO DIE IN THE ARENA IN ORDER TO GET AWAY FROM YOU!!!"

        I get up and storm out of the room. I slam the door extremely hard. Once I'm alone, I take a breath. I'm sweating and my palms are hot beyond belief. I just can't believe what I said! I've never acted like that nor have I stood up to anyone before. I take a minute and realize that I feel great. This is the kind of attitude I need in battle, strong and grounded, protecting those I care about.