Seven| Cheese & Catching Up

"The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese."
― Willie Nelson

In my case no one gets anything...

Pizza Boy stood outside my house for two hours after that—Both yelling and screaming like a madman, desperate for me to die so he can get his Xbox back. I had to move rooms just to focus on my work. However even in the basement, through thick walls of concrete, I could hear him scream.

"Two pieces of oatmeal bread again? Sweetie at least put a slice of lactose-free cheese in it or something?" My mom peered over my shoulder as she grabbed her coffee cup.

After that mess of a day and a night, I stayed home—I didn't get any sleep. There was no way I was getting out of bed after being shot in the head.

My one day off turned into two and that into three, and before I knew it, it was already the end of the week. A Friday of all days was the one day my mom got involved in my life. She forced me out of bed and told me to at least show my face in school.

Even with days of doing nothing, my mood didn't get any better, but my mom's did. I guess Steve talked to her—wow, more brownies points for him. I got to remember to thank him for this temporary change in my mom's attitude. I'll give it about a week until she's back to her normal 'grab a coffee and ignore her daughter routine.'

"I would add cheese if there was any?" I stated, 'and if I was hungry.' I stuffed my binders in my black bag and buttoned up my yellow shirt. My headache was so intense it felt like a million rocks were being thrown at my skull.

Oh, wait... rocks were thrown at my skull a few nights ago...

"There isn't any cheese?" She quickly opened the refrigerator. "Oh," she shut the frigid and sipped her coffee, "Well I'll pick some up before I leave for the airport tonight."

I stopped midway in the compact kitchen, "Airport?" I asked, wondering why she's leaving when she just came back from a trip.

"Yeah," she nodded her head. "I'm heading down to Ohio for a business meeting with my company." She dumped a bunch of sugar in her cup. "It will only be for about a week or two, maybe more?'

My heart shattered, "that's great mom... great." I quickly shoved on my black shoes and pulled open the front door. Normally I would be glad she was leaving for a while since she was never fully in my life in the first place, but this weekend would have been the one time I needed her.

About a year ago her company scored tickets to one of my favourite plays, and I've been looking forward to it all year. She promised me to take the weekend off to drive to New York—But I guess Ohio was more important.

"Wait sweetie where are you going?" She called after me.

"To school, where else?" I snapped.

My mother stood by the door in her business suit with a perplexed look on her face, "What has gotten into you, young lady?"

I shoved my bag into my tiny car, then faced her, "We were supposed to go to New York this weekend for the play?"

Her brown eyes widened to the size of baseballs, as she almost dropped her coffee. "Oh my, I'm so sorry Evelyn I —"

"You what? Forgot?" I cut her off, "seems like work is more of a priority for you than your own daughter."

Avoiding her eyes, I started the ignition of my car, and quickly before pulling out the driveway I heard her pleading voice over the engine, "Steve can take you?" She blurted out as if Steve was her saviour.