Thirty-One| A Final Plea

"You can't get milk from a hardware store.
So stop asking for something that can't be given. And look for what is offered."
― Louise Penny,

Gym was a killer show. Mrs. Zip insisted we learn how to play lacrosse as our new unit.
However, lacrosse meant projectiles and sticks — two things that should never be given to a bunch of inexperienced teenagers. Poor Darren ended up smacking into everyone and by the end, he was the last one standing without a visible scratch. I was lucky I sat out. Although I wanted to play, but Mrs. Zip said I couldn't so I didn't. At least was one hell of a fiasco to look at.

As soon as I got home, I took off my shoes as quietly as I could and dashed up the stairs.

"Evelyn?!" Damn. I froze halfway up the stairs, hoping my mom wouldn't come out of her office... but she did. "Evelyn, is that you?" She peaked her head out and had the perfect view of my feet.

"Yes mom..." I sighed. Conversations with my mom have been dull since she came back. This meant things were turning back to normal. When she found out from Steve that he wanted me back in the lab, she went nuts and sided with me. After all, she was the one who pulled me out of there, why would she want me back in.

I thanked her for that and lightened up around her. But deep down, I still hated her for keeping it all from me.

My mom walked out of her office and reached the stairs. Her curly hair was up in a bun and she was wearing her business suit. She also had major bags under her eyes, like she hasn't slept in days. "Your gym teacher Mrs. Zips called?"

I turned around and walked down three steps to face my tired-looking mother, "And?" I crossed my arms.

"She said you haven't been participating?" She mimicked my movement.

I huffed, "Mrs. Zip told me not to participate!" I defended, "She's all like I don't think you up to it and stuff."

My mother's face didn't change.

She didn't believe me.

But I was telling the truth. It's like Mrs. Zip hated me or something. She was always giving me dirty looks and yelling extra loud in my ear. Today she even told me to sit out while the class ran the warm-up laps before the bloodbath of lacrosse sticks. To be honest, I should have still ran the laps, but not being able to run the laps made me feel special?

"Why would a teacher tell you not to participate, then call me to say that you're not participating?" My mom thought out loud.

I shrugged, "I don't know and to be honest I don't care." I turned, leaving her on the stairs. It's not like Mrs. Zip threatened punishment, she just called my mom. The only thing that was probably threatened was my grades. But I can afford to fail her class, I already have a gym credit.

"Evelyn wait!" My mom called again.

I turned to see what was up, "Yes, mom?"

Her mouth moved, but nothing came out. She then shook her head and pushed away her original words."Never mind, just continue what you're doing." She sighed and walked away.

Weird? I rolled my eyes and reached into my bag for some more pills as I felt a headache come on. As I pushed open my door, I swallowed them, but then immediately choked as I saw who was sitting in my desk chair. "Ack what the hell Steve!" I coughed.

Steve turned around and smiled as I finally got my pills down.

"You know you aren't supposed to dry swallow pills all the time, right?" He held his hands together.

My eyes widened, "I don't give a damn if I choke." I stressed, "Why the hell are you in my room?" I dropped my bag, "Your angry girlfriend is downstairs!"

Steve took in a deep breath as he seemed annoyed by my comment, "I'm not here to see your mother. I already spoke to her about this." On the ground beside my desk was a black briefcase. He pulled it up, entered his combination, and pulled out a stack of papers and a pen. "Have a seat, Evelyn."

"Excuse me, but you cannot treat my bedroom as an office," I yelled, "Get out!"

His expression didn't change, "Not until you hear me out."

I rolled my eyes and left the door open. "If this was about the lab testing, then you already know my answer, Steve." I spoke, "And my mom drilled it into your head." I threw my hands in the air, "I'm surprised she hasn't broken up with you yet."

Steve coughed and adjusted his blue tie. He was in full business mode as his hair was tied up and his glasses were on. His suit looked brand new but his attitude wasn't. He took the stack of papers from his lap, then placed them on my desk. "My relationship with her has nothing to do with you or your ability."

"Yeah, right." I laughed, "You even said it yourself that you only dated her to monitor me, but then it turned to love! Ha! What a fantastic lie!"

Steve leaned forward and gave me a parental stare. Steve never scared me, but since my dad didn't exist and my mom was always an ass to me, he was the only good parent figure in my life. Even though he was monitoring me for science my entire life, he treated me like his daughter... or his girlfriend's daughter... I slowly stopped laughing as he stayed quiet.

Once I calmed down, Steve spoke, "The only reason I'm here is because I want you to reconsider your answer."

I laughed again, "Nope, not happening."

Steve sighed, "Why Evelyn? Don't you want to help advance the science world?"

"Help advance the science world?" I crossed my legs, "The science world is what did this to me, and I didn't even have a choice!" I vented, "And now that you're giving me a choice, why would I choose to go back to your lab and be pricked with needles. I have a life you know." I thought about my friends and schoolwork, and I even smiled when I remember I had a date with Evan. "I have a life and I want to live it."

Steve rested his chin on his palm, "But you are a walking miracle, Evelyn. Your life would continue when you get back? Our research would only take about a year or two?" He shrugged, "If you're worried about missing school that would be covered. Plus I could write you a great recommendation letter for university once we're done—"

"A year or two?" I cut him off as that note just sunk in. "No, no, no!" I stood up, "I'm not going to miss a year or two of my life to be pushed and pulled around by your research team for what huh?" I exhale, "Advancements in the medical world? Yeah no way Steve! My answer is clear, no." I turned away from him, "Taking these pills is already a hassle, I'm not going to give up 2 years of my life too." I pointed to the door. "No, get out!"

He didn't move or changed his position. "But Evelyn, think about the changes you could make?"

"What changes, huh?" I asked but then answered for him, "Changes that won't help me but millions of other people, yeah right?" I cried, "You even said it yourself! This drug only works on me and one other person who's currently dead. Testing me to find out how my body works won't give you answers." Before he could speak I continued expressing my frustration, "Even if you were to somehow convince me to go, my mom wouldn't allow it to happen!"

Steve straightened up and played around with his pen, "This is your choice Evelyn, not your mother's," he sighed, "You're over 16, so you can decide whether or not you want to do this. Your mother doesn't have a say."

Well, that doesn't change anything. "It's still a no, Steve. Now please get out of my room. I have homework to do." I pointed to the open door across the room.

He sighed and packed his papers back in his breath case. Before he exited, he looked back at me, "If you change your mind, Evelyn... you know how to contact me." He smiled, "Hopeful this time someone will answer." He nodded, then closed the bedroom door.

I sank into my bed and held my knees up to my chest. Things were going great till shit hit the fan. Steve just had to ruin my day by asking me again.