chapter 22

The next day I was sitting in the peaceful library room, reading one of the new books my father had bought me for Christmas and recovering from the excitement of the previous 24 hours.

Yesterday had been perfect, the day was even better with the presence of our guests. After the initial present opening in the morning we'd proceeded to the dining hall in the afternoon for our Christmas dinner, before ending the day with films and games.

Kingsley and I had remained close for the entirety of the day, almost as if we couldn't bare to be too far apart. It had been strange, but oddly comforting to have his presence next to me at all times as we played with Artie or talked with the adults.

I turned the page of my book, absorbing the words eagerly as the fireplace crackled beside me. I'd been holed up for a few hours, not bothering to check the clock as I got lost in the twists and turns of the story.

It was one of my favourite things to do and I'd spent many hours in the library of the house, pouring my attention into the inky words of the books on the shelves.

"There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere."

I turned my gaze to the doorway where Kingsley had come in, interrupting my cosy moment.

"Oh sorry, I've been absorbed in this." I held the book up in my hand.

He smiled and walked over to me, taking the book from my hands before I could protest.

"I have something to show you."

I eyed him skeptically, "if it's that you have a third nipple then I think I'm okay with not seeing it."

He rolled his eyes and pulled me onto my feet. I waited for him to let my hand go but he didn't, instead pulling me out of the library and towards one of the back rooms.

"Where are we going?"

"Not far, don't worry. Now close your eyes."

I frowned in confusion but did as he said. He took my other hand began guiding me slowly to where I predicted one of the windows in the room was.

When we came to a stop I shifted nervously on my feet as he let go of my hands. They suddenly felt very cold without his body heat to warm them.

I soon felt his presence behind me as he leaned down to my ear.

"Okay, open your eyes." He whispered and I followed suit, taking in the sight before me.

I was right that he'd led me to one of the paned glass windows overlooking the large garden. I gasped in surprise as I saw the whole area covered in a thick white blanket of snow. It was flurrying down fast, coating the bare trees like paint.

I glanced back at him as we smiled at one another.

"It's beautiful right?" He asked.

I nodded, "I'd forgotten how pretty snow is."

"Do you want to go out and play in it? I checked on Artie but your mother put him down for a nap."

"Sure, I'll just go grab my winter stuff and wellies."

"No worries, I already brought them." He nodded his head to the bench where my coat, scarf, gloves and wellies were already waiting for me.

I went over to them, putting the thick layers on as Kingsley did the same with his own. I pulled my wellies on over my jeans and went to open the door, too excited to get out there to wait another second.

I stepped out into the winter wonderland, bracing myself against the cold chill.

The snow crunched under my feet and before long I had a thick layer of snowflakes dissolving into my clothing. The atmosphere was freezing and our breath condensed in mid-air as Kingsley came to stand near to me. I blew out a long breath, pretending to smoke.

I heard a scuffle behind me but didn't turn quick enough as Kingsley shoved a handful of snow down my back. I yelped, jumping away, trying to shake the cold ice out of my clothes.

"You asshole!" I yelled at him as he bent over, roaring with laughter. I glared at him and recovered quickly from his attack, scooping up snow from the ground and packing it together before throwing the ball right at his face.

Now it was my turn to laugh as he stumbled back from the impact. He quickly recovered and I realised he was about to seek revenge. I turned, running away from him down the length of the garden.

I could hear his footsteps coming from behind and the sharp whips of air as snowballs flew past me, narrowly missing and breaking apart on the ground.

I ducked behind a tree, peering around it in search of his figure. The flurry was so thick now that it made it hard to see far into the distance. I tried to squint but it was useless, he seemed to have disappeared. I held my breath, hoping he couldn't see me either.

Suddenly his hand snaked around my waist as he appeared in front of me, holding a snowball in one hand. I tried to wiggle from his grasp, attempting to escape the oncoming freeze but it was already too late.

He smooshed the ball against my neck and I shivered from the sensation. He smirked at my reaction and I used all my strength to shove him off, causing him to fall back.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten he had his arm around my waist and ended up falling with him, straddling his hips as he hit the ground. I fell against his chest and we began to laugh between ourselves as we laid in the snow.

Finally, I managed to catch my breath and pushed myself to an upright position but his hands gripped my hips, preventing me from detaching myself properly.

I blinked down at him in surprise as his eyes scanned my face. They seemed brighter in contrast with the snow stuck to his long eyelashes and I noticed the red hue to his normally pale skin.

I knew mine looked the same, but I wasn't sure if it was from the freezing temperature or the intimate position. I shifted slightly, accidentally increasing the friction between our bodies and he groaned from the contact, his fingers digging into my skin. The noise stirred something inside me and I felt a heat run across my skin.

I felt my lips part as he looked up at me, "Vesper I-"

I didn't let him finish the sentence, quickly grabbing a handful of snow and shoving it down the front of his coat. He released his grip, surprised by the attack, and I took the opportunity to jump up.

I began to run back towards the house, glancing behind me to see his shocked expression. I turned my attention back to the remaining garden in front, dodging trees and weaving along the path as I tried to make sense of the intimate moment between us.

I could still feel the impression of his tight grip against my hips as the sound of his low groan seemed to ring in my ears.

I tried to shake the confusion from my mind, already attempting to form excuses for the moment we'd ended up in, writing it off as an accident not to be repeated.

I didn't stop running through the snowy blanket until I was safely back inside, safely far away from the complications of Kingsley's presence and my own feelings.