00

You live......?
It all began with these words. Should everything begin.......

Colorado, Berkley Creed

It was shortly after lunchtime and the diner was almost empty. Only a few isolated residents and travellers who sat on the benches at the tables and comfortably ate the last bites. This was Jyn's favorite time of day and she could calmly go through the current files and applications. Here are a few building applications, there the next city council meeting or the next citizens' meeting. All of these were tasks that the mayor repeatedly passed on to her, because he didn't want to deal with them himself and didn't want to deal with them himself. Why else were there assistants?

After college, this didn't seem to be a bad choice for a job. Maybe not the dream job, but at least you could gain some experience and at least you weren't a secretary. Assistant and secretary were two different jobs. Just forget many. Although, an assistant was usually worse off than a secretary because they didn't have to do all the dirty work. Dirty work. That's what assistants were there for. To do everything that was unpleasant. Everyone has to eat shit. No matter what the job. Some more, some less. That was just the way life was. Not fair. Not fair. Not at all.

Sipping at her cup, Jyn looked up from her folder for a moment and over to the door when the doorbell rang and right back in where she turned the page. Assistant is clear, more likely a maid for everything, a voice in her head came up. And not only for the mayor.

"Hey, can you drop these off at the sheriff's office," asked Miranda, who owned the diner, and handed Jyn several loose pieces of paper, "For two weeks now, more and more people have been coming in, asking questions or filing missing reports.

"Shit happens.....", absent, Jyn took the pile off Miranda's desk; put it on the table, far away from her files, and looked up after a few minutes, "..... For two weeks? But this is not just two weeks. At the end of last month, the boy from..... from.... thing. Only with him it was clear that he would be dead, because he had such a small drug problem. The sheriff said that people just walked away without saying anything. And, it's not that weird. What's big here anyway? Not much, if you consider ...."

"You're alive..... you should be dead", very slowly Jyn turned her head to the left, because this was quite strange just now, where suddenly a confused looking man in a trench coat was standing at the table with her, staring at her and seemed to be a bit surprised that she was sitting here, "We were convinced you were dead.

"Yes, I'm sorry I'm not," gurgled Jyn, began to laugh questionably and returned to her papers, "Dead. Of course. God, people seem to be getting more and more into trouble. What comes next? Ghosts, zombies and shiny vampires."

"Excuse me, he doesn't get around humans that often", again Jyn looked up and nodded as a short-haired man who grabbed his arm in his trench coat to take him with him, "Cas.... What was that about?"

The last sentence was probably not addressed to Jyn, because the short-haired man had lowered his voice and brought his friend to a table where another man was sitting. Was there a clinic, insane asylum or something similar nearby? Well, at least none that she knew of. People were strange creatures. And that opinion would probably never change. Look, guy in a trench coat. Weird.

▪■•●•▪♤☆♤▪•●•■▪

Back at the table, Dean Castiel sat down on the bench; pushed his brother Sam, who was sitting on the opposite side, to the end and sat next to him.

"Okay Cas.....," Dean began, interlocking his fingers on the tabletop and looking at Castiel, asking, "What was that? You can't just walk up to any person and tell them that they're supposed to be dead. You can't."

"Dean, I know her..... somewhere..... I think, and she's supposed to be dead," Castiel began, though he didn't seem a hundred percent sure about it "If I'm right in assuming she's _____, and _____ and......".

"If you were speaking in complete sentences, we might be able to follow you," Dean interrupted, but Castiel just started blinking and his gaze wandered across the table searching, "So, you might know her and she's who?

"She is _____", again only Castiel's lips moved, and again there was no sound when he wanted to say who he thought the woman was, "I guess I'm not allowed to say who she is until she knows for herself. Yet I'm certain she is."

"So...... is she an angel," Sam checked, just to be on the safe side, but Castiel wasn't much help since he didn't say anything and there was no emotion in his face, "Or is she a demon? Because if she is a Demon, it might be better if she didn't find out in the first place."

"Doesn't everyone have the right to know who they really are," Castiel replied questioningly, causing Dean and Sam to sigh in the chorus, "Whether Demon or Angel? People are dying in this town. Maybe you two should look around a little bit. The sheriff doesn't seem particularly interested in these cases."

It was always amazing how quickly Castiel could change the subject and sound calm and impassive on subjects like death.