04

The Sheriff's Department was lying there as if extinct when Jyn and Dean arrived and entered the building, except for one person who was sitting there at an otherwise unoccupied desk. Of all the people who could have been here, of all people, Shawn was there, a permanent guest and the scariest figure within a hundred miles. Son of the sheriff. From the outside, the whole outside, Shawn seemed like an ordinary seventeen year old. And with that it ended abruptly. To the regret of all inhabitants, and to his luck, his father, of all people, was the sheriff. There was no learning from mistakes.

"Pay no attention," whispered Jyn Dean to the seventeen-year-old, and asked himself the question what the boy was doing here, even though his father was not present, "And certainly not, to answer it. It's for your own good. I'll quickly pull out the forensic files so you don't have to get in touch with him much and not have to do this to yourself. Nobody wants that."

Maybe the sheriff might be the father of this boy, even though he might be a complete incompetent moron in his profession, the question still came up how the boy could become like that. Teenagers screw up every now and then. Most of them learn from it. Not this boy. The crowning glory of it all was the infected tree. Sounds harmless so far..... It was not. Even though Jyn was not a fan of cats, this action was extremely violent. On the tree, the lighted one, mind you, a cat had holed up. According to Shawn, from his incomprehensible thought processes and lack of brainpower, he just wanted to help. Through the fire, the cat would have come back down from the tree by itself. This could not be put into words.

Loaded with numerous documents Jyn returned to where she had told Dean to wait and just witnessed him splashing water from an old flask in Shawn's face. Blinking, she shook her head, because she preferred not to know.

"Good news. He's not a demon," Dean announced as he saw Jyn coming out of the back room and after an explanation for one of his suspicions, "He's just naturally a bad boy."

"Of course, just as God exists," Jyn cleared his throat, fanned the staplers, bowed his head to the side and stopped at a note from the sheriff, "According to this, the Bible would not be a mere book that would be in every hotel and motel room. No, it would be the truth. Who would believe the shit of angels, demons, God and the devil? Here are the forensic documents of all the victims. At least the ones that were found. Shredded, mangled, and some of them were all but eaten. Others have only reappeared in pieces. According to the coroner, it must have been something big, or at least very powerful. No coyotes or dogs. He did not want to exclude a bear completely, but he was not completely convinced of this theory. Maybe you can do something with it."

"Thank you", disgusted by the condition of the found victims, Dean pulled a face, turned up his nose and ran his finger along the list that listed all the features, "May I keep these for now and you'll get them back as soon as we find something?"

"Don't worry about it. Even if you kept them, no one would notice if they were missing," for the sole reason that no one cares or is interested, "The people of this city are strange and almost like robots trying to be human. Everyone has their own stereotypical role. You have all the time in the world."

Even before entering his and Sam's motel room, Dean heard Sam seem to be discussing with someone on the phone. Half an hour earlier, he had received a message from his brother saying that he and Castiel had found something in the woods that suggested a werewolf. Not just a werewolf, but a whole pack.

Before Dean could reach for the handle of the bathroom door, there was a knock on the door. When asked to see who it could be, San did not respond, although he was next to the door. Humming, Dean waved away, opened the door himself and his gaze turned to stone.

"Hi boys," a good-humored Crowley asked mockingly, started grinning and looked over at Sam who had appeared right next to his brother, "Did you miss me?"

Not really, was Dean's first thought, and no we didn't, his second.