08

Colorado, Colorado Springs

In the first few days, when driving over the highways, the big question still arose: Where are we actually going? Throughout the whole drive Jyn read one place name after the other and none of them had the feeling that this was the right city or that this could be the right city for the future. But this was not so.

Behind Cañon City the name Colorado Springs caught Jyn's eye for the first time. Just briefly but it was enough that every sign that read Colorado Springs made it feel as if she was supposed to go there. Nowhere else.

It had been a good three weeks since Jyn had applied for a job at the local newspaper in Colorado Springs where she now worked, and it was much more pleasant than in Berkley Creek. Which probably never existed. Just the people here behaved as far as she could tell, but what did it mean to be like normal and real people.

Despite the fact that Jyn's interview was anything but optimal -thanks to the big gap in her CV, which she explained with a lot of questions to avoid lying - she was allowed to work for a week on a trial basis and then got a year's contract for the time being. With a newspaper not so bad, since most of them are freelancers and are paid per article.

In the early evening, when Jyn was leafing through the last pages of the dummy again before the newspaper went to press and could, a man came in with the newspaper folded and looked around searching. For a moment, she shouted, circled two lines in green and then looked over the edge of the page to let her hand sink apathetically onto the table. No heart attack, but the feeling that just passed through her body came very close. In every part, in every single cell of her body she could feel her heartbeat, if not hear it.

"Excuse me, but I'm sure you can help me," the man began, Jyn just stared at him with a slightly opened mouth, an involuntary smile appeared and that's all she could say, "If you have any information, please contact me."

"What?", Jyn asked in a completely confused way, which made it take another moment until she realized what she was doing and knew with a fair amount of certainty that she looked totally stupid, which made the visitor smile, "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare at you all the time but...... Anything..... Are we..... I don't know, sorry. Um, my colleague is in charge of police matters. If you leave me your name and a phone number, he'll get back to you tomorrow or you can come by tomorrow until around 4:00. Whichever you prefer."

What was that? On the one hand, Jyn would claim to know this man, but on the same train, if she didn't know how.