02

The way through the streets of the city to the town hall gradually became a pure tragedy. More and more pieces of paper with missing persons' reports were stuck to lampposts, walls, rows of windows and mailboxes, and so far none of the missing persons had been found alive or had returned unharmed. Either dead or disappeared without a trace. It didn't matter if children or adults, both disappeared equally without causing any sensation. From one moment to the other, simply disappeared. As if these people had never existed. The only proof of their existence was when the bodies of these people were found.

When crossing the intersection, Jyn stopped in the middle of the street; following with her gaze a man who had been watching her, now confused the side of the street and put on a mischievous smile, which caused her to blink several times. Away. Simply gone. First there and then gone. All right, so she had just imagined that? What was worse, she had never seen the man before; she had no idea who he was, and yet there was a feeling that this stranger couldn't be that strange to her. Clearly the stress. There was no other way to explain it. Going crazy would have been another possibility, but that was very absurd.

"I actually wanted to see the mayor," greeted the short-haired man from the diner Jyn as she entered the town hall, after she had made a small detour via the coffee shop and now walked past him to the desk, "He doesn't seem to be there. Is he in a meeting or can you best tell me approximately when he will be back?"

"Tee off at half past twelve," Jyn explained to the short-haired man with a smile on his face and a friendly sounding yet disapproving tone of voice, put her cell phone on the table and finally took off her jacket, which she put on the table, "Punch a few balls..... Yes."

"Um.... does he do it more often or....?", but the young man broke off as Jyn confirmed this to him with a questionable smile and raised eyebrows, "Nice. In the city people disappear and he goes golfing."

"Not only that," Jyn added with a cough, which made him look at her for her subliminal tone of voice, which caused her to look over to him and give him a popping sound, "You can also putt in another way. I'd bet more on that."

"Where's he going if not to ...... oh..... You mean", to confirm, after he clicked, she pointed at him and nodded several times with a clearing her throat, "Good to know. Can you give me..... can you give me....."

"Jyn, it's easier then, okay? Good," when she went to the stranger's closet to get a folder, the stranger suddenly started to frown and opened his mouth to say something he left out, "Is my face rotting straight or is it discoloring because you're looking at me the way your strange friend in the trench coat did...... not quite but that's the way it goes anyway."

"Sorry, Dean, in case I haven't mentioned it. It's about your arm at ....... Most people wouldn't walk around sleeveless with it anymore," Dean reeled off and quickly distracted with a quick hand movement in the direction of her arm, "Must have been pretty bad. How did it happen, if I may ask?"

"Dogs", at that moment Dean started to look at Jyn as if he had misunderstood her, because Jyn took it quite calmly and with her, much more, it sounded like a normality when one arm looked like hers, "During my studies I worked with different kinds of dogs in one station. One of them used to have coyotes and they have claws, so they like to scratch and nibble at you without any bad intentions. From Africa one guy had smuggled three fennecs into the country, however he could do it, and free running predators are difficult at first. According to this, there are worse things and the few scars were worth it. When do you get the chance to see certain animals in real life? The arm is on, working and I am not dead, so it doesn't bother me too much."

"I would hardly call them a few", Dean's doubting laugh about the so-called little thing Jyn thought it was, was gone shortly after, since he was here for another reason, "Can you tell me something about the missing animals? The woman from the diner told me that you also work for the sheriff."

"Our sheriff is far worse than the mayor, and as for his son, he's completely shot," immediately a violent shiver went through Jyn's body, causing her to shake involuntarily and immediately rub her arm with one hand to get rid of this feeling, "I can only tell you what's on the record. Which is not much. I don't know why you're interested in these incidents, because so far no one has wanted to know anything about them, let alone say a word about them.

Jyn pulled a thick yellow folder out of the closet, flipped through it and put it right back again to flip through the next one until she looked through it again, found the right one and put it in Dean's hands.