06

Restlessly, Jyn tossed and turned in her sleep; to her relief, she woke up in the middle of the night, this horror was over, and was now sitting upright in bed, panting. A dream, that was all it had been. Nothing more than a dream, of which she didn't even know what had happened in it except for the feeling that it must have been pure horror.

"Nice to see you again", uncontrollably Jyn began to tremble, turned her head very, very slowly towards the window, where a man leaned against the cupboard in front of the window and smiled at her, "Did you miss me?"

Screaming, Jyn drove out of sleep again, immediately looked around the room and wiped the sweaty hair from her face. There was nobody here. Everything had only been a dream. A dream within a dream. A very realistic dream, which even after ten minutes still showed its effect. Uncontrollably trembling, she sat on the bed, trying to get rid of any thought of this dream and only wanted it to stop. No more hallucinations, no more nightmares and no more strange things that affect her. From her point of view it was a stinking boring life but at least it was quiet.

Whatever Jyn had managed, in the end she fell asleep and this time without any dreams.

What was to come after that, however, would become the real nightmare.

Shortly after seven the alarm clock rang, like every other day of the week, and Jyn pressed the snooze button as usual so it would ring after another fifteen minutes. During the fifteen minutes she didn't fall asleep again but was there to gradually adjust to the day. Completely relaxed without rushing or being stressed. Afterwards a short shower, maybe breakfast and packing the bags.

Today, however, things were different. No alarm clock ringing and no shower, because no water came out of the tap. Neither did electricity. Complete power outage in the whole house. When leaving the house finally, Jyn almost fell away from the (non-existent) faith. Extinct. The whole town was extinct. Not extinct, as in the usual sense and the normal use of it, so empty, but extinct. A ghost town. The house from across the street looked as if no one had lived in it or cared about it in the last few years. The windows had been nailed shut, the front door hung half in the hinges and the path to the entrance, the stones partly broken. The same with the house to the right. All the houses on the street looked in a similar condition.

As if in a trance or not really realizing it, Jyn walked down the street, but no matter what buildings she saw, they were all in a similar condition. Broken or nailed up windows, broken fences or lawns that were much too high. At that sight, anyone would have said that not a single person had been here for ten or more years, let alone lived here.

Arriving in the middle of the city, Jyn first had to sit down. From her house to here she had not met a single person, nor had she seen another person. Everything was dead quiet. Not a single sound was closed. No moving cars, no animals, not even the wind, was absent today. This could just be a nightmare.

Jyn must have been sitting for half an eternity already and must have completely blanked out everything, because suddenly Dean, Sam and the strange man in the trench coat stood with her.

"Jyn looked up and was completely confused and almost in tears, because nothing made any sense to her anymore, "What's going on here all of a sudden?"

"So you see it too?" Sam confirmed with a wandering look of relief.

"Your memory is coming back," the man in the trench coat calmly admitted, which caused Dean and Sam to look at him with astonishment, "Everything is falling apart. The entire city. Everything that was built here is collapsing. With the return of their memory and their true nature, the false reality dies."

"You knew none of this was real?!" Dean yelled at the man next to him, "so nobody ever died here either, or what?! Then what the hell are we doing here, Cass?"

"To them, it was real. It was supposed to be real for her," Cass replied calmly, turning once in a circle to look around, and then began to smile, "The person who took care of her avoidable death probably never wanted her dead, but only wanted to make sure that everyone thought she was dead. Her memory was erased and in order to prevent it from returning or to prevent her from remembering anything at all, a false reality was created. But something or somebody has triggered something, and this life is now decaying bit by bit. I believe much more in the fact that the person wants to make up for his wrong and is now in the process of repairing the damage that has been done. A memory cannot be forced. It is quite possible that this is why we are here. One thing I can promise. She will soon no longer be alone."

This is exactly what Dean and Sam didn't want to hear. Nothing like that or in that direction that suggests Jyn was a demon or anything like that.