015

chapter fifteen
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
ii. sky island arc

Shoto Todoroki, for once, felt as if the fire dimmed inside him was slowly fueled to grow into something greater.

Every single one of them were human like him, and also like any human who didn't possess the same ability as he does, they were greatly affected by the constant change of temperature. Not to mention, they were sensitive to intense ice and fire.

They were only stronger by their agility. The same thing that made Bakugo overpower him during the tournament.

Panting as he tried catching his breath, he watched as the remaining ones still stood stronger like a wounded tiger, their great store in stamina showing off.

Forgetting to mention, they did lack the very thing that was holding him back.

Mana.

Slowly, his ice was getting less and less intense and it was also getting smaller by every move he does. His fire, while it's still brightly lit aflame by his left side, he could tell it was also dying.

Could he really get away alive this time? He wasn't a miracle-worker.

His vision was starting to darken. They have been fighting continously for hours and Shoto would hate to admit it but even from overpowering them as average fighters, he couldn't take them on as a whole tribe that has lived in the wild these past centuries.

He would hate to see how strong their ancestors must be to face the so-called 'God'.

"You put up a good fight." The man said, wiping away his sweat. He had visible burns and frostbite, it was obvious at how temperature was something human nature couldn't overcome even as a mythical being.

Shoto didn't reply. Or more like, he couldn't get himself to.

Despite being trained since he was young and going beyond his limits, he was afraid that he went too overboard. His body could not keep up with his quirk, that was something he had to work on first.

"You're admittedly formidable for a kid, but in the end, you still don't fit in this kind of world. The world where everything revolves around war, especially to obtain rights."

Releasing one last blast of his power before he drains himself completely and be rendered useless to the crew, he fell back by the cliff, falling off the edge as he felt the air rush in.

It was better to fall off for the mean time than get caught.

He was right. He did get too ahead of himself to think that he can handle numerous veterans who has been fighting their whole life.

Seeing the flip flops that Shoto left on the ground untouched, the man curiously puts them on and felt the soft fabric that tickled his skin. He liked it.

Well, he'll keep it. It's not like the boy would raise from the dead just to get the flip flops. Plus, no one would survive that kind of fall anyway.

"You're admittedly formidable for a kid, but in the end, you still don't fit in this kind of world. The world where everything revolves around war, especially to obtain rights."

What was that supposed to mean?

'You still don't fit in this kind of world.'

It meant he was far too weak, right? Without saying that, Shoto had figured it out by himself. Despite facing normal beings who has trained like him, he was weak against them even by having a dual quirk. It was frustrating.

Looking at the palm of his hands at the dark space, he felt himself clench his hands tightly, drawing out blood that felt incredibly surreal.

Weak. Weak. Weak. Hasn't he been told that for more than numerous times? So why was he being so persistent? Why was he insisting to do something he clearly wasn't meant to do? Why was he still there trying so hard?

In the end, there was nothing he could of contributed.

Even making a promise to Luffy of returning, did he really believe he was that strong? He even failed to defeat a tribe filled with average fighters.

To think about it, he had always failed to accomplish something. He failed his mother, he failed his siblings, he failed his classmates, and now; he was failing his crew, the only people who has been able to put up with him until now.

Thinking about his life in the other world, and made his head rise higher.

Wasn't he fighting already?

Before even realizing, he has always been in war. Even way before he was born. He was the so-called prodigy who was required too meet his father's expectation.

Obtaining rights?

That was something he already did. Failing his mother, given no choice but to follow whatever expectation was forced on him. . . And in the end, he still did it, right? He managed to fix his relationship with his mother and father, he managed to encourage his siblings.

So he never failed.

That man didn't know what he was talking about. What does he know? He was never involved with Shoto's life, so running his mouth like that was nothing but foul. Words that come from his was of no worth.

Shoto persisted to fight, and here he was only realizing now just how far he came. The tribe may be stronger than him now, but unlike them, he was still destined for something greater. It wasn't the end of it yet.

With the determination now burning brighter than before, Shoto found himself forcing his eyes open, seeing the dark sky first before anything else.

He had to keep his promise.