025

chapter twenty five
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
iv. water 7 arc

"Eh?!"

Everyone looked at Iceberg in disbelief as those simple words left his lips. That was simply foul play, it was unfair, basically a very dirty trick. Was this really the town's mayor? Hard to believe.

"Hey, we don't like your games, Mr. Mayor." Usopp told off mockingly as he pulled Shoto closer to the front as he pointed at the boy's face. "I know he looks really attractive and have beautiful hair, but you can't take away the baby of the crew."

"I'm not trying to take him away." Iceberg rolled his eyes, they were getting the wrong idea. The crew was seriously dimwitted. "We just need his assistance because he seems to know more about business than any of you."

"Hey, was that an insult just now?"

"Usopp, let's not overhead the situation. Iceberg Mayor-san gave me an ice cream, so he needs me to pay him back by doing work in the Galley-la Company." Shoto explained.

"Exactly! Who uses ice cream as bait to do work?! If you wanted Shoto to help you with the papers, then you could of offered money instead!" Nami huffed.

"Nami!"

"That's not the point, are you really willing to sell Shoto for a cone of ice cream?" Usopp told. "Zoro and Sanji would have our heads!"

"We're not taking Shoto-san away from you, for the last time. I just need his help in sorting out something since I noticed he's. . ." Iceberg glanced at the unsuspecting Shoto who was too busy clawing his way out of Usopp's arm. "Well-experienced."

"Shoto? Well-experienced?"

"My father owned a business. He was also notorious. So I often assisted him with paperwork. And I'm guessing that Iceberg Mayor-san doesn't exactly know all the terms that comes with it."

"Shoto, your father owned a business?! And he was famous?! What's his name??"

Shoto stood back up and dusted his clothing before caressing his chin.

"Well, I still don't remember his name." Lies, Shoto had to keep up the amnesia act to not raise further suspicion. "But he was a hero. Just not a very liked one."

Still don't remember? Lucci looked at him in curiosity. Best guess is that he suffered amnesia. Poor boy. But a hero as a father? Not a very liked one? Maybe not a world government personnel because if someone had obnoxious hair like his, he would recognize it immediately.

"Oh, well. . ." Usopp was lost for words to speak so he brought in his Captain and looked at him. "What do you say, Luffy? We shouldn't let them borrow a nakama, right?"

Luffy paused, remembering his experience in the floating restaurant. There is no harm in sharing Shoto's capabilities, and he trusts the boy to be able to defend himself if danger ever comes.

"You can have Shoto." The Captain approved.

"Wait, Luffy?!" Usopp looked in disbelief. Did he just hear that correctly? Was Luffy seriously agreeing with them?

"Great. Well, Shoto, you can start now." Iceberg turned towards the boy who listened up carefully. He didn't have problems of doing business because originally, he was better in such things. Not to mention, he was interested on inhaling information that was beyond Pirates' knowledge.

"Hey, hey, hey, start now? We haven't even asked Zoro and Sanji's permission." Usopp went to say, he was about to mention Robin but he felt like it would be too sensitive for some reason. What was this gut feeling?

"We'll pay Shoto generously." Iceberg stated before turning away once again.

Before the liar could speak any further, Nami clasped his mouth shut and smiled mischievously and sweetly.

"Very well! Do pay him well. Luffy's the Captain anyway and he approves." Nami sent Shoto a look that made the boy shudder. "Pay back you debt after, okay?" She said sweetly.

Now Shoto was hesitating whether it was a good idea after all.

"I don't have a debt."

"The soba was purchased with my money."

"But-"

"No but's! Now let's follow Usopp 2.0 in mending the ship. Hurry up, you guys." Nami ushered Usopp and Luffy who looked absolutely clueless.

As soon as they left, Shoto was motioned to follow Iceberg inside the large gates directing to their line of physical work. Iceberg explained all tools to him in being a shipwright and then they reached a large example of a stable ship.

"Since the paperwork has yet to arrive, I guess it won't hurt to have you assist them for a little while, right? At least while Kaku is away on fixing your ship." Iceberg offered. Shoto nodded.

The greatest opportunity to earn muscles and physical strength. Something he greatly lacks.

Shoto nodded eagerly. "Please." He said politely. "I would like to help Lucci and the rest."

Ah, and he just had to slip in a lie to add flavor to his compassion.

"I see. . . You're already fond of Lucci."

The boy was confused at his words at first but he had to take his chances. "Err. . . Yes, sir— I greatly admire Lucci's work and strength as a shipwright."

Iceberg nodded in approval.

"Well then, you won't mind working with him today, won't you?"

Glancing at the said male, Shoto allowed his eyes to travel towards Lucci who was minding his own business even if his ears were wide open hearing their conversation.

"Not at all." Returning his gaze to Iceberg, he offered a small faint smile since he still wasn't comfortable with smiling brightly. "It would be my greatest pleasure to do so."

In the streets of Water 7, Nami found Usopp lying on the stony floor with a very bruised and bleeding face. It was as if he underwent a terrible beating, in which he did. Where was Luffy, anyway? Why did he leave Usopp alone with all the money?

"Nami," Usopp coughed out as tears started pouring from the corner of his eyes. "They stole the money."

Even though she suspected it, Nami's eyes still widened at the confirmation.

"They stole the only hope to repair Merry." He cried despite being more swollen physically. It still pained him more inside knowing he wasn't able to protect the money for Merry. "I was so weak. . . They beat me up and I can't even do anything about it."

"Usopp." Nami's eyes softened. She could somehow relate to being weak, so hearing the usually prideful Usopp admit to his weakness just like that made her realize just how bad he was taking it.

"Don't worry, Usopp. We'll deal with the money later." She first had to take him towards Chopper, and so she dragged him by his arm towards the direction of the shore.

She desperately needs Shoto's help with taking back the money because he was the one most likely to not cause a wreck while taking it back. However, it's not like she could hide this from the other boys as well.

But knowing the inevitable chaos that will arise when the crew finds out, she would be helpless to stop them. But it's not like she'll stop them anyway. . .

Meanwhile back on the shipwright's place, Shoto sneezed randomly as he tried using the hammer. Hearing the oddly cute sound, Lucci turned to him weirdly, just sending him a look.

What's a kid doing in a Pirate's crew anyway? But it was beyond his intention to meddle in with him. A child or not, the pirate crew had to play a vital part in his plan.