023

chapter twenty three
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
iii. long ring island arc

Aokiji stared at the teenager. Was he seriously fighting a kid right now? But power has no borders, after seeing the boy's confidence in facing him, did he seriously believe that he could last longer than his Captain and get the both of them out in time?

Unknown to the admiral, heroes were never taught about not being capable enough, saving had always come first, even if the enemy in front of you was someone you aren't capable enough of taking down. Lives were on risk, it was only natural to give it your all.

"Just my luck, my stamina is back in rockets." Shoto felt an odd thrilled grin on his face as he stared right back at the Admiral's eyes. "Though I can't move that much, so let's end this quick." He gestured at his bandaged arms, swinging one but he flinched as soon as it was moved for more than a few centimeters.

Aokiji felt ridiculed. It was clear that the boy's motives were not to defeat him but to find a way to escape. He can't blame the boy though, he was probably just a stray kid that the crew found on one of their adventures

"Young boy, you'll need another century to defeat me." He said, feeling bored. He dissolved into ice and morphed back up as he did went to end it quickly by faintly tapping the boy's arm, and then Shoto froze just like his Captain. Aokiji right behind him.

Defeat? Aokiji never heard of that, it was almost an unfamiliar word ever since he grew enough brains to comprehend that the sea was a far-fetched place. As he turned to walk away, he then felt a rising temperature behind him.

He stopped dead on his tracks. It can't be. . .

Shoto broke out of the ice in ease, panting slightly because it took all his muscles to break the thick layer. The admiral was amazed. That was the fastest someone broke his ice.

"Stop addressing me as young, I'm 18 already." Shoto stated out of the blue, watching as an idea popped at the marine's head.

"Interesting. . . Mana you say? Then that means you're not gonna last that long." Aokiji threw a jab as Shoto narrowly avoided it, looking wide eyed at his strength and speed.

So the admiral didn't really heavily depend on his devil fruit after all.

There was a pause before Shoto lit his fire wildly in his left side. It was a good idea to go full on out from the start, seeing as his enemy at the moment can't be avoided with half-assed moves.

He could tell that the man held back more than he showed.

"Ara ara, I never thought I would meet someone like you who can break my ice here in the vast sea of the Grand Line." Aokiji's small talk was then cut shortly as he attacked, sending, fields of ice towards the boy who easily burned it off.

Fire, huh? But why only his left side? Did he seriously believe he could win with just the half of his powers? And if he had the fire fruit, then what about Fire Fist Ace? Or was there another fruit about fire that just wasn't logia?

"Thanks, I guess. But the world is big, I bet you'll meet even more people like me." Shoto stated, not taking compliments from the person he was fighting against.

Well, if you could call dodging effortless attacks as a fight.

Feeling that the whole thing was enough, Shoto went to attack Aokiji, and before the man could slip off with his large body, Shoto had pierced a spike of ice on his shoulder, but the man only looked at him incredulously.

Only stopping from the stupidity if his movement.

"A mere ice stabbed into a man made of ice itself? I haven't heard of something as outrageous." Aokiji said humorously, but his expression sure did not show any such amusement.

"Figured the ice wouldn't work. But I wasn't planning on using it as a weapon anyway." Shoto lit his foot on fire before running up the man's arm before throwing a hard and harsh kick on his neck.

He had to thanks Sanji for the tough days on where he had to learn on how to split. It was hard, definitely had to cut out the shortcuts. But all of his hardwork paid off in the end, he can now throw a proper and effective kick for the close combat situations.

Aokiji pushed Shoto off in a far distance between them, the boy landed on his feet but it was evident on how his arms effected his movements heavily. It would be the biggest insult to fight an opponent with a handicap, and a young boy at that. He should hold back, after all, the boy before him had an enormous potential, he could be of use for the future.

That is if the boy ever decides to survive after this.

"Impressive. This one's gonna leave a bruise." Aokiji said in still an uninterested tone, but it was a large contrast to the amazement he felt inside. A boy who could wield both ice and fire? He was surely going to be a big shot some day.

And he was still. . . Young. There was plenty of room for growth.

"What fruit did you eat, if you don't mind me asking." The admiral asked. Shoto paused for a good few seconds.

What should he say to an admiral who had a wide knowledge on devil fruits? Maybe something mysterious or just a made up one. Deciding feverishly with no proper information or whatsoever, he threw a down-slide kick to immobilize the man's legs.

"I ate two fruits." He said plainly before throwing another harsh fire kick on the other side of his neck. Seeing that it was the perfect time to flee, he used his ice to slide down between the man's tower-like legs, he then practically ice-skated all the way to the direction of the ship.

Not looking back at the impressed but bored look on the admiral's face, he still decided to say out loud for Aokiji to hear. "Mr. Aokiji-san, I look forward to meeting you again in the sea someday. And when the time does come, please don't hold back. I want to defeat you with my own strength."

It wasn't loud, to be expected from a boy who was basically mute and had a minimum with words. Though being chatty, he still had a low voice. But in spite of that, Aokiji heard it perfectly clear.

Who wouldn't? The boy's voice was even different that it swept along the air.

"Meet again one day? Tch, as if." Aokiji nonetheless smiled before putting on his eyemask, ready to bike across the sea once more. The strawhats did prove themselves worthy enough to sail the waters.

Ice and fire? That was unique. And he even said that he ate two fruits. Aokiji wasn't sure but it seemed like the most logical information. No such dual devil fruit exists, only explanation is that. However, like anyone who was told that having 2 fruits can lead to death, he just can't help but wonder how the boy survived.

"I guess I am looking forward too." Aokiji mumbled to himself. Defeat him? He would like to see him try.

And to Shoto who has never seen someone as strong as Aokiji who can perfectly control ice. Shoto has made it his mission to grow stronger, to be able to affect his surroundings like the admiral did.

And if the time does come. He would like to prove to be the better ice wielder.