060

chapter sixty
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xii. fishman island arc

Shoto didn't know where to start.

At first, they were surrounded by a rocky environment, letting them know that they reached rock bottom. 

And then they got swept off by the stream, in which the monster trio got into while barely holding onto the soap bubble. It was a stream to cease, Shoto mused. And since they were going down deeper, some of them were now accompanied by jackets, fighting off the cold atmosphere.

"Those creatures with rubymentary eyes." Brook mused, watching as fishes turned upside down upon being bitten.

"It's quite a sight." Shoto added.

"It's nothing to be amused about!" Usopp exclaimed in panic, equally just as afraid as Nami and Chopper. "Shoto, help me tie everyone to the ship!"

"Tie? Isn't that a little overboard? The ropes would easily snap from the friction." 

"There's something down there." Franky pointed before Nami's eyes widened, staring at the familiar figure that she has heard stories about.

"It's a sea bonze!" 

"A sea-- what?"

"A sea bonze, they say they come along the ghost ship. I'm not very sure though." Shoto assisted on information, and on que, he could hear it mutter about Captain Vander Decken. Which sounds oddly familiar too.

"Ghost ship?!"

"That aside, do you think Sanji and the others will be okay?" The heterochromatic questions. 

"They'll be fine."

"Chances of the soap bubble popping is 72%, it's the majority. We should prepare to pull them in before we go down deeper." Shoto explained, looking outside with a hint of concern. 

As everyone was too caught up talking about the sudden twist of events, they all could see a bigger ship lurking outside. It was a ghost ship, just like the looming rumors. And a silhouette stood out within, the large grin evident on the face. 

Shoto couldn't let his guard down, especially when the monster trio was nowhere near. Basically, he was responsible for the ship's safety.

The sails had the clear but tattered words, 'Flying Dutchman'. And he could hear the crew's horrified screeches.

"Dead man tell no tales, they have no desire." The silhouette started.

"Is that. . ." One of the crew trailed off, unable to complete their words as it fell into a jumble. Barely anyone could gather themselves in the presence of the lurking ghost rumor.

"I am the richest person in the world-- Captain Vander Decken!" 

"It happened several hundred years ago." Brook started. "One stormy day, the Captain of the pirate ship suddenly lost his mind. . ."

As he went into storytelling, enlightening everyone about the stories he has heard upon his voyage. Shoto couldn't properly hear his claims, too caught up with ideas of getting out of the tight situation.

That was until Brook screeched. "And the ship right in front of us is Captain Vander Decken's haunted ship!"

Shoto took a good look at it, glad to have seen the notorious rumored ship in person. 

Robin started sketching on her sketchpad, it was the ship with extra jolly rogers by the side. It was basically godly compared to Luffy's drawing.

"We just saw the Kraken which was believed to be an imaginary monster. So, it's not surprising to see a ghost ship." She calmly informed. Shoto nodded in agreement. 

After minutes of discussing it, Shoto turned to Nami as soon as he heard her murmur something to him.

"The water temperature has been increasing for quite a while." She started. Shoto is unable to detect changes in temperature if he doesn't pay close enough attention, so instead of adding more thoughts to support her claims, he remains silent, knowing fully well that he doesn't have anything important to say. 

As the ship dove deeper, they were met with mini volcanos, looking as if it were made of sea corals and such. 

Placing the pieces together, Shoto realized something that may add up to Nami's former words. His head shot up to the direction of their navigator, and seeing her look, she might have had the same thought as him.

"Franky, use Coup de Burst!" She exclaimed fiercely, determined to get them out of what may happen next.

"I can't! The fuel has run out!" The cyborg replied in distress.

They had to get out within the distance of the volcanos, but with the sea bonze behind them, the situation wasn't getting any better. 

Shoto came into action, gathering all of his knowledge in science. He has experience with science fair and all that, although he was not an expert, he basically knows the basics.

"Forget Coup de Burst, it's unavailable at the moment." The heterochromatic came to say as he landed on the railings of the back of the ship. Which was a struggle in the first part.

The crew watched without saying anything, they didn't know what Shoto was thinking, but he looked passionate and determined. Enough to have made them just sit back and watch what their crewmember was going to do.

"Luckily, my quirk plays an important role in explosions." Shoto stated. "Franky, the momentum of Coup de Burst is caused by the components of Cola, it allows the ship to move fast in a short period of time. Like the name, it's a burst."

"Uh, yes. Exactly. But why are you mentioning that, Shoto-san?" The cyborg scratched his chin sheepishly.

Chopper was the one to have downed the realization. "Ah! Your fire and the water we're in can allow you to mimic Coup de Burst! Since we can't exactly have air under water, your ice plays a role in water!"

Shoto nodded, he was partly right. 

"And when water releases oxygen, the remainder is hydrogen, which is extremely flammable. The heat and flames from the burning magnesium cause the newly made hydrogen to react with oxygen from the air. This explosion releases energy and forms new water molecules that rapidly release even more energy." He explained.

"Oh, wow. I just realized I don't get science." Brook murmured.

"That sounds really smart just now." Usopp encouraged Shoto. "Whatever it is, can you put it to the test?" He asked.

"A test? No. We're working the real deal right now." Shoto kept a passive face, holding out both of his hands as he tied himself on the railings just so that he wouldn't fall off from the pressure. "Hold on tight." He told them.

And then, he worked on the blast, making sure that the gathered amount was large enough to project some kind of burst. Any kind. And after more seconds of pushing into science, he could finally see the pipe starting to light up, and with the help of his quirk, he managed to get it bigger for a larger explosion like Coup de Burst.

And then, they moved.

The ship rapidly shot out of the tight spot, away from Volcanoes. He panted, a small smile gracing his features as he was content with the outcome.

Although it wasn't as strong-- and was a little rocky, they still managed to get away.

"Wow, that worked!" Usopo exclaimed. "That was amazing, Shoto! Are you our science-man now? Sounds manly, right?"

Shoto only shook his head in amusement.

"No. I refuse to take a lame name like science-man."

Blunt. But fair enough.