076

chapter seventy-six
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xiii. punk hazard arc

Back in front of Caesar's Lab, the G-5 marines notice Caesar's flying gas balloon. The kids get out of the balloon, and they ask for candy. It was not hard to guess that Caesar was at his own scheme once more. It was another plot of his concerning the poor children.

Caesar tells them to go into the Biscuits room to receive the candy. Caesar then tells his men to lock the door as soon as the kids get inside. Mocha then has a moment of lucidity, realizes that she has betrayed the Straw Hats, and starts to beat down the door, while calling for Nami. 

"Nami!" She yells with conviction, trying to ascertain whether the said woman could hear her. She was determined to call out for her.

Meanwhile, in Caesar's Lab, Caesar enters and starts to converse with Vergo who simply stood idly by the side within the walls of the lab.

"The experiment will begin shortly, go ahead and start the video." Caesar said after getting tired of waiting. He wanted to get things done already. He was confident and cocky that things were going to go his way, completely unaware that Shoto and Chopper have successfully intruded the facility without their knowledge.

They thought that confining Shoto in a seastone cage was a bright decision, they didn't know that he was completely unaffected by it.

Caesar then starts to insult Law, calling him a weakling. Law, using his devil fruit, had already handed his heart to Caesar in order to gain his trust earlier-- he knew just how vulnerable he was now. It certainly shifted the events, after all, Law had also chosen to give up his heart in order for them to believe that Shoto was truthfully captured against his will with no plans to follow through.

They were assured that they had the upperhand.

"They're here." Shoto, hidden behind a large and thick wall, murmured quietly to Chopper. They were safely out of earshot, having escaped Monet who tended to other needs. "Law's here too." His eyes lit up at the sight of the surgeon, relieved to see a familiar face around.

"Now, all we have to do is find the cure!" Chopper exclaimed in a low whisper in order to avoid being overheard.

"Wisely, the cure should naturally be found in the lab room." Shoto could not imagine another place for it. He knows for sure that if there was ever a cure, it wouldn't be seen lying around Caesar's room or something. The scientist must know better than to store it in such an unsafe environment. That is if there is a cure. "Chopper-san, not intending to come off pessimistic but what if there was no definite or invented cure?" Shoto frowned slightly.

Chopper pursed his lips into a thin line before holding the look of determination clear in his eyes. "Then I'll just have to make one."

Shoto admired his determination and will. 

Looking back at the scene with their new ally, he looked just right in time to see a heated scene.

Vergo is revealed to have Law's heart, which is why he was able to defeat him so easily. The news inevitably squeezed the guilt in Shoto's heart, just as Vergo literally squeezes Law's heart.

The action makes Law cry out in pain and topple over the floor clutching his chest where the void of his heart is. This made the furrow in Shoto's brows deepen, clenching his fist as he attempted to think of ways to help his friend out. Chopper, noticing Shoto's desperation to do something as a heroic instinct, stopped him.

"No, Shoto. You musn't."

But Shoto couldn't just stand there and do nothing when he knew for certain just how much Law has helped him.