053

chapter fifty three
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
x. 3d2y arc

Within the first few months of being with Aokiji and his odd training system, Shoto could see progress.

His usual big boulder of ice progressed into a gigantic one. He couldn't explain it but he was confident he could cover a whole island with ice if he continues with Aokiji's guidance.

The only problem was that while he was improving drastically on his right side, his left side was falling behind.

Lightning was an alternative of his fire, or perhaps he believed. He tries to counter lightning before by sending his fire into the highest, but he figured that it wasn't the case. Enel said himself.

He can't actually produce lightning, it was more like he could only redirect it. He figured it out. But that blue flame when he saw the war, Whitebeard dying, Luffy's brother dying-- it had set him off and lit aflame his heart, he can't actually wait to be able to produce them naturally.

"What's with you spacing off lately?" Aokiji pointed out lazily.

It's been 8 months already, nearing 1 year. Christmas seemed to be nonexistent in this world, but at least Aokiji bothered to make an ice cake with cheap frosting.

Shoto doesn't even know if New Year was to be celebrated here, but he liked to mark his calendar for that.

"Just thinking." The heterochromatic waved off. He's developed a decent relationship with Aokiji, they were pretty much friends. Both were comfortable enough with each other after going into one island into another.

While Aokiji couldn't take him to trips to his work, Shoto actually finds being away from all the Marine business much better.

"Aren't you gonna turn 19?" The Admiral suddenly asked with a bored look on his eyes as he stared the boy down, it was as if he was waiting for Shoto to turn 19 magically just by standing there.

The heterochromatic blinked once. Twice. Before he eventually shook his head.

"New year hasn't even arrived yet." Shoto informed.

"New year, huh. . . I forgot about that." Aokiji mumbled plainly before focusing back on his newspaper.

The boy could only deadpan.

So, it really didn't matter in this world. To them, new year is just another start of a year.

"What're you planning on your birthday? You're celebrating, aren't you?"

Shoto redirected his gaze towards the man with a surprised look. "Celebrate? I mean. . . I don't want to be a bother." He avoided contact.

The Admiral didn't buy it.

"What do you usually do to celebrate? Do you eat ice cake or something?"

"Aokiji-sensei, we do not have an obsession with ice cake." Shoto deadpanned, shaking his head. In a way, Aokiji was similar to the people he knew back in his other world.

"Then. . . Soba?"

Shoto perked up. Was Aokiji actually being wholesome? What's with the sudden kindness and consideration?

"Your birthday, it's on February, right?"

Never mind then.

"January 11." Shoto corrected. "I don't mind if we won't have a big celebration or anything, I'm not a big fan of parties."

"There's no one to invite anyway."

"Sensei, are you implying that I have no friends?"

"Pretty much. . ."