047

chapter forty seven
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
ix. marineford arc

"Icey-ya!"

As Shoto was escaping the wrath of the Marines since the remaining Whitebeard pirates had forced him to retreat-- he heard a voice call him from a distance.

Turning towards where the voice came from, he saw a floating yellow submarine with Trafalgar Law over the decks, motioning for him to escape with his Captain who was already inside; ready for an operation.

And within a second, Shoto landed himself on the floor boards, stumbling slightly before he picked himself up. He was too busy catching his breath.

"Thanks." The heterochromatic acknowledged, earning a nod from the Captain of the heart pirates.

Soon enough, more people had arrived in the war. And as he squinted his eyes further, Shoto could see a flying clown floating their way. And as he blinked, the straw hat was now in his hands.

"Stupid Shanks." The clown muttered.

Shoto could only stare and recognize him as Buggy. And by the person who he was cursing, it must be the yonko who had come to stop the war. It made chills run down Shoto's spine as he realizes at how much Shanks had control over the situation.

Even Sengoku had calmed down.

"Icey-ya, you should head back inside, we're escaping." Law advised the boy who nodded and straightened himself up.

Shoto casted one last glance at the fight, and coincidentally, the red haired yonko had looked at him with a small hint of a smile and wave of hand before mouthing a familiar series of words, one that Shoto has heard before.

'Take care of Luffy.'

With a firm nod, Shoto saw the man's smile soften as he stared at the straw hat in his hands. And swiftly, the heterochromatic was in the submarine, seated in one of the side seats outside the operation room.

"It's nice to see you again, Law." The boy greeted, already considering the surgeon as a close friend for generously letting him keep the ring.

And to Law. . . Well, he didn't know what to think of the heterochromatic. He had this odd sense of urge to guide him, and so, he described this relationship as acquitances at best.

He wouldn't get in a relationship with a boy who has yet to reach the age of maturity, after all. And he was sure that the others who seemed fond of Shoto thought the same.

This was pirate business. Law didn't have enough room for unnecessary commitments yet.

But for now, he'll take care of the boy in behalf of his missing crewmates. He was sure that the heterochromatic was exhausted after all the events that merged into one.

Feeling a towel wrap around him, Shoto looked up to see the surgeon getting ready for a surgery. And he was at it again, treating him so kindly. . . It made the boy wonder if Law was really the same person from the wicked rumor that people were making up.

"Thank you, Law." He told thoughtfully. "And please save my Captain."

"You're looking at the best surgeon there is, you don't have to doubt."

Hearing his confident words, Shoto chose to trust him with safely saving Luffy who dealt a great amount of damage.

After hours of waiting, Shoto soon found himself struggling to keep his eyes open. He was honestly worried for Luffy, and it's not that he didn't think that Law was capable enough to miracle's work, but because he was sure that Ace's death took a harsh toll on the rubbery boy.

He may be physically fine once the surgery is done, but his mental state was not guaranteed to be okay after that.

For seemingly having constant racing thoughts in his head, Shoto himself didn't notice that he had drifted to sleep for a few minutes. He had only awaken to the sound of the door opening, it was abrupt and it was enough to make the heterochromatic jump to his feet all suddenly while his eyelids were visibly still drooping.

It turns out, it was Law who exited the operation room, casually taking off surgical gloves that were tainted red. Luckily, Shoto didn't get to see the sight since he was too busy fighting off his sleepiness.

Noticing the heterochromatic who appeared to be in a sleepy state, Law arched a brow with how he was standing up instead of sleeping and giving in to his exhaustion.

That was until he made assumptions in his head.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" Law asked in concern, watching as Shoto slowly sat down and shook his head.

"No. . . I just wanted to stretch my legs, that's all." Shoto waved off, yawning slightly as he rubbed his eyes to properly look at the surgeon who only looked amused after hearing his excuse.

Shoto was not that great at lying when he was half-awake. Law noted.

"With that position, you're gonna have a sore neck once you wake up." The dark haired male pointed out. "Why don't you rest at my room, you can have it for the night."

The heterochromatic was once again flattered with how generous Law was being. Though, he was too sleepy to think straight.

"How about you, where are you going to sleep?" Shoto questioned. "Are we going to share a bed?"

Law did his best to compose himself after hearing Shoto's suggestion. "No, two people can't share a bed when they're not together. Unless they're good friends, it's totally up to them."

"Aren't we good friends? We even got engaged."

Law almost choked on his own spit after hearing Shoto boldly say that. So, he really didn't forget yet. Well, he's sure that after Shoto turns 20, he would have a more rational head and would finally understand that marriage doesn't go that way.

"I still have a lot of things to do, you can have my room in the meantime." Law told, standing straight as he actions on using his ability to teleport Shoto seeing as the boy could not walk straight at all.

"I feel bad." Shoto reached a hand to stop Law, clutching his arm lightly.

The surgeon pursed his lips into a thin line. He was testing his limits right now. That was until he finally gave in. "I'll join you after I'm done." That seems to reassure the boy and Law could finally use his ability to transfer him.

But after second of pondering about what he said, he sat down for a while before he could announce Luffy's state to the other guests.

Did he say that to Shoto just to convince him? He wasn't sure as well. One thing he's sure about is that the Strawhats would surely castrate him alive if they ever found out.