Part 35: Innocent victims

''I could never do that. No one's death is worth my happiness,'' she whispered and shook her head in denial.

She took her hands away from the witch and let her fall to the ground.

''You have killed hundreds of people. One more death on your list. Kill the right person and say those words. . . .''

Laurel could hear the voice of the witch as she was telling the spell that would end her misery, but she didn't want to. How could she kill someone she loved? Why could she not be happy without consequences or more death? She was tired of seeing people die around her. She was sick of eating with death every day, and yet, her fate was tied to it.

''Laurel, we can't do that. It's not right. Maybe there is another way.''

A tear escaped from her eyes.

''I don't know what to do, Lyra. I feel so tired. This stupid bond is becoming stronger every day. We are preparing for a battle. What if I die? What if he dies because of me?''

More tears started running on her cheeks, and her lips parted slightly in sorrow. Her hands were trembling, and she felt paralyzed like a statue.

''One step at a time. Let's get out of here. You will find a way. I believe in you,'' Lyra tried to soothe her, but it was pointless.

The wolf understood that Laurel was right. The two of them observed every day their body. At first, it was a few scratches. Then, they would get every hit James had. When Charles shot James, Laurel had felt the impact of the bullet, but only had a small wound. What would happen if someone tried to kill her?

''You are right. One step at a time.''

She wiped her tears and glared one final time at the elder witch.

''Leave, Huntress. I don't want to feel your pity. And I don't need your help.'' She had stopped trying to cover her ears.

Was she accepting her death? Or was the guilt too much to stop it?

''I will take care of your people,'' she responded and looked at her for the last time.

The path till the door was clear from the fire with a switch of her wrist. The house was ready to come apart and turn into a tombstone. Physically and emotionally exhausted, she started walking. Suddenly, she had felt her shoulders heavier than before, the burden in her heart growing and tearing her apart.

She got outside moments before parts of the ceiling crashed. A hole was made, and soon the whole building would collapse, only for a memory of it to survive.

''Oh, Laurel! What happened?''

''What are you doing here, Asher?'' she asked with furrowed eyebrows.

The young vampire stood a few meters outside the house, dirty and full of ashes.

''Tyler picked me up. He texted me about the fire, and I told him I wanted to help. But that's not important.'' He waved his hand as if trying to shoo a fly.

''You shouldn't be here.''

''Laurel, what happened?'' He put his arm on her shoulder and tried to make her look at him.

''I'm stressed. Don't worry. I have handled worse than a fire.'' She faked a smile. ''Come on, let's find the rest of the pack.''

A couple of hours passed when the fire started subsiding. Laurel had used James and Asher as her power sources and had gained enough energy to put out the greatest part of the fire. Out of 560 witches, according to a witch high in the hierarchy, only 45 were saved. Most of them died in their sleep or were trapped under the wreckage. A few, unlucky women burned alive, and their burned flesh mixed with the burned wood and created a sultry feeling.